I attended the Bond University Marketing and Admissions Planning Day this week with little expectation, having been told it would most likely be a waste of time. Reason being, there would be zero discussion of current issues and resolutions and only fancy slides of "this is what we've decided so this is what we're going to do."
Truthfully, I did find it a challenge to keep myself engaged with most of the presentations of 2011 wins and strategic goals for the new year. Yet there was one talk that captured my attention. It stood out from the rest because it wasn't about departmental targets and marketing initiatives. Though geared towards work at Bond, it set my mind alight with thoughts of how the simple principles shared relate to life as a whole, or in my case, the life of a Christian.
We were shown a section of Simon Sinek's discourse on "How Great Leaders Inspire Action" at the start (Video time 1:25 to 8:20), to understand it is not about what we do or even how we do it but WHY. If we focus on the 'what' and the 'how' we end up doing things upside-down. The 'why' meets a person at their feelings and centre of decision-making. This place is not moved by language, or more specifically, facts and figures or information if you like. Reach a person through the 'why', and trust, loyalty and advocacy can be built.
It is not about delivering the features and benefits of a product but demonstrating there is a life-changing experience to be enjoyed. It is about aligning the right life examples with the demonstration so their success correlates with the experience, giving it credibility and a way for people to identify. (One such example is Roger Federer for Nike) It is about enabling those people to be the best version of themselves by creating an environment that shapes tomorrow's leaders. Focusing on the 'why' allows us to change the world and the way we operate within it, so we need to think differently. The reformer is the one crazy enough to think they can revolutionise the world. And that's how they do.
When I logged into my computer that morning, I blurted the 's' word in a comment of what I had to get done, making the Planning Day poor timing. I am not proud to admit this but it's for good reason I mention my flaw. A colleague of mine perked up as she appeared over my shoulder, "Hah! Here I was thinking others didn't really swear." I can tell you now a ball of conviction hit me in the ribcage as she said that. My immediate response was to apologise and confess it was not right of me. Still, she was pleased as punch at my verbal slip. There are others in our office who voice profanity but that is not the point. The point is I threw integrity into a gutter.
To make matters worse, I acted like a pre-schooler in the function hall by whispering to two ladies at the table I didn't want a certain colleague to take the spot on my left as he makes me uncomfortable. He had gestured for us to save the seat. M (I will call her), to my right, asked with concern what it was about that person that made me uneasy. Somehow I couldn't find a proper explanation so told her not to worry. She offered he could be abrupt at times but that meaningful conversations about God were shared with that colleague, whom she described as being very religious (as in committed to Church ministry). And there came another ball of conviction. Who was I to judge?
The message set in harder when that colleague returned to find the table full. I sheepishly avoided eye contact when I realised he was hovering around as if out of place. Thankfully someone else came by and motioned for him to sit at the empty table just behind. M felt bad and wondered aloud if she should join them. We quickly moved over as I began to reflect on my behaviour. After an introductory speech and overview from our Director, the Marketing and Communications (MarComms) Manager launched into the inspirational talk of why we do what we do.
Jesus died on the cross not so I would wake each day and moan over being alive. There's a reason for my existence, which ought to give purpose to everything I do. In Church, we talk about being reformers - the change we want to see in the world - but I don't intentionally structure my everyday around being one. The reformer is the eagle that soars above the crowd, not the duck that quacks in complaint and gossip, and stays on its behind in mediocrity. If I want my character to mature so I can be a positive influence, I need to set myself apart in thought, word and deed like Wally the Cab Driver and other revolutionists.
The MarComms Manager noted we could all gain insight from Steve Job's advert for Apple. There are faces in the video clip we all recognise. They chose not to settle for the status quo but pushed the boundaries for a better tomorrow. People like that dare the rest of us to dream bigger and break down the confines of "well, this is the way we've always done it". They challenge us to squeeze more out of life and not regret our mistakes if we stop to reflect, learn and do better. There's 'gumption' in all of us (reference to Arthur Abbott in the 2006 movie 'The Holiday'). We have the ability to create and innovate and be the Leading Man or Lady in our own story. But more than that, we can point the way for others to be likewise.
[Video: Apple - Think Differently]
No comments:
Post a Comment