While no man is perfect, Daniel lived a blameless life. He loved and obeyed God, and was above reproach. For this, Daniel was highly esteemed by the Lord. Yet he fell with trepidation when encountering an angel. All strength left him and he was helpless. No one else was able to see the angel but they fled in great fear, perhaps from sensing the angel's presence. If it was due to their sin and lack of repentance, then it would be fair to say that Daniel could have stood upright before the angel for he had nothing to be ashamed of and no reason to tremble.
Gideon did not flinch when an angel found him in a winepress threshing wheat. The winepress, a place to crush grapes for the purpose of celebration, had been turned to a place of hiding. Gideon's identity, too, was lost. Instead of fighting in the time of war, he took on what was traditionally the role of a woman and cowered from the enemy. He hid as he was afraid the powerful Midianites would steal the harvest since they had been oppressing his people. Yet he had no reverent fear when the angel appeared. In fact, Gideon looked the angel straight in the eye and asked why God had abandoned his community after leading them out of Egypt. He expressed his anger and disappointment to the angel without so much as batting an eyelid. To this, the angel encouraged him to direct the zeal he had to question God's character towards conquering the Midianites.
The angel could have put Gideon in his place for dishonouring God, particularly considering all God had done for Gideon's people. Despite instructing them how to live righteously, they blatantly disobeyed and landed themselves in a great mess. Instead, the angel gave Gideon a high calling. God wanted to restore Gideon's identity and free his people.
I look at Gideon's response to the angel's visit and recognise my pride. I too have not claimed my identity, and am more fearful of what man can do to me than I am concerned about where my heart stands with God. Daniel dropped to his knees out of reverent fear and awe. He was humble before God and cared most about what the Lord thought of him and how he led his life. Gideon had lost the knowledge of who was truly sovereign. Unlike Daniel, he did not have a clear and life-changing revelation of God's love, grace and power. Gideon's encounter with the angel was the start of his transformation.
For years, I have asked God to reveal His heart in a way that completely convinces and convicts me of His love. I believe if I can just absorb the truth of how He sees me, my life will never be the same again. I will have real joy, peace, hope and the ability to love others. I have had personal encounters of His presence and goodness but while I understand I will never fully grasp the depth of His love, I need an insight that will give me the breakthrough my life so desperately requires.
Do I fail to experience Him the way others do because of the unwillingness to surrender totally? To let go of my doubts, discontentment, unforgiveness, fear of people's opinions and consequent actions; resentment towards perverted and violent men? If I made the decision that it would be perfectly fine to appear undignified or be a Jesus freak, would that enable me to connect with God?
It's interesting that God gave Gideon a smaller 'encounter' or experience each time. First came the angel, which you would think is a pretty big and scary deal, then came said angel proving himself by setting Gideon's offering on fire commanded with a staff. Next were the signs of the wet and dry pieces of fleece, and lastly, an unbelieving foe telling a friend about his dream of wheat rolls descending from the hilltop to destroy their camp, which the friend immediately decided referred to them dying by Gideon's sword.
As Gideon took steps of obedience, he needed less convincing and was able to lead his people to victory. What about me? Do I keep seeking for a greater encounter without stepping out to pray for another to experience God? Am I withholding from blessing others with what God has already given me? I just feel I need more to be able to give out though. How can I take someone to where I have never been myself? But perhaps it begins with me using the tenacity with which I question God to fight the enemy so his lies of my identity and the situations I perceive in the natural no longer overwhelm me.
Like the angel encouraged Gideon, I too must "go in that might".
[Points above adapted from Pastor Lance's teaching on Daniel 10 and Judges 6 at prayer meeting tonight]
No comments:
Post a Comment