Saturday, 5 April 2014

Little Angel

Dear Phoebe,

You turned a month last Saturday and this occasion was celebrated with a gathering of family and friends for Sunday lunch. Naturally, you were none the wiser and slept through most of the proceedings. I said last week I wasn't certain of your personality, but each day that has passed since has made me realise you were already showing the answer. As Grandma puts it, you are in one word stoic. 

Some say never to declare in your presence how good a baby you are for fear it will jinx things. This is a piece of advice I have not been following for I believe positive utterances have a spiritual significance. You are what I and many others prayed for. And how could I possibly refrain from praising you for being so wonderful? 

My darling, you have a sweet disposition and are what I consider long suffering. Despite a bothersome heat rash, relentless bouts of hiccups and bad gas build up from indigestion, you have taken it all within your stride and have tried hard to put up with the terrible discomfort in your own way without crying. You have not fussed even in noisy restaurants, and have been agreeable to others carrying and photographing you or poking their faces into your bassinet to coo over you. Grandma and I find you all the more lovable for your brave attempts to endure whatever pain you experience, but it also hurts my heart to watch you grimace and struggle and not be able to make your troubles disappear straight away. 

Initially, it surprised me how when you are hungry, you simply stir in your sleep and make sounds that aren't associated with the need to feed (as per what is deemed universal baby language). One night I wondered whether I had attended to you late, being deep in slumber. You have been very patient on the whole and for this I am grateful. I can imagine it would be very stressful if you had a habit of crying loudly and incessantly. Although your snorting, puffing and constipated like sounds often keep me up at night, this does not detract from how easy it is to care for you. Grandma is right is saying we are truly blessed. Before you came along, I was adamant I wanted the freedom a life without children affords, but now I wouldn't have it any other way. You bring so much joy to our lives.

Speaking of joy, you have begun to engage with me more. Grandma reckons you are able to recognise both Papa and I and are showing that by following our movement with your eyes and giving genuine smiles. I say genuine as you gaze directly at us and are not just reacting to bloatedness as is probably still the case when you smile with your eyes closed. Such moments are very rewarding and shall be savoured. As you grow, I plan to slowly introduce activities for us to do together. At present you are not interested in the toys attached to your play mat, but you are excelling in tummy time with impressive head lifts. Grandma is still amazed at how well you hold your head upright when we carry you over our shoulders.

Oh sweetheart, while it excites Papa and I to watch you reach new milestones, there are times we just want time to slow down so we can enjoy this stage of your life a little longer. It was only two weeks ago that we ducked out to the shops to buy you a few more newborn outfits as you were swimming in the clothes we had on hand. Unfortunately, you can't fit into a couple of them now so I didn't get the chance to see you in that cute light pink top and pants set. I doubt the onesies you have been wearing are going to last very much longer either. You will not be short on garments though as Grandma and Aunty Banga (my sister) have gifted you with a number of beautiful pieces. Sadly you will most likely outgrow the can-can skirt Grandma gave by next week. To remember how adorable you looked it in today, I have included photographs below.

Well, it is getting late now my dear so I shall end here and write to you again another day...

Love, Mama

Delighted grandparents

Happy in your pretty skirt



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails