Someone rang the faculty earlier and my colleague, Lisa, picked up the phone. The English lady on the other side of the line was enquiring about the Human Trafficking Study that the Law School is conducting. Lisa referred her to the right department. We looked it up, curious to know what the study entailed. Turned out to be research into the legalisation of prostitution. I made a harsh comment that no woman should be involved in an industry like that. Lisa quickly replied that at least with the legalised brothels, the women are properly cared for and there are strict rules and regulations. That is true, I suppose. And according to interviews done in England by a lady interested in starting such a business, the women enlisted themselves willingly and take their 'job' very seriously. Lisa then went on to tell me that prostitution was in effect way back when. My mind said, "yes, it was even in Bible times". She then told me about a village (I can't recall which era she said this was in) where men pushed women into prostitution as part of their religious practice. There was a certain time of year when a festival would be held, and in celebration of that, the women in the village were made to go out and sell their bodies. They were then required to give the money to the community chief. What kind of celebration would that have been for the women? It made me sick.
I came back to my office to breathe and calm down. All I could say to myself was, "God will vindicate, God knows what He is doing, He sees everything, He is not negligent or slow in responding, He loves us, He cares and will act when the time is right and justice will be brought about". What would I say if I were living in that village and made to do something so awful? Would I keep my confidence in God? Would I trust Him even if I was not protected from such an ordeal? Would I have faith that His promises and plans were still to prosper and not to harm me?
Last night (Wednesday the 1st), I chaired our home cell group meeting. Actually, I had forgotten that I was to do so because the roster went out on Tuesday and I only took a quick look to see if I was supposed to bring something for dinner. So I got a tad anxious and prayed to God for Him to lead me. I said, "God, my mind is racing to find a passage in the Bible to share but you know what? I don't want to pick one I think will apply to them or will be good. It needs to be what You want to say to them tonight." That's when God prompted me to read Jeremiah 17: 7-8 to the group after worship.
And guess what? Looks like Darlene had the same verse in her Bible Study. She wrote about it in her Wednesday the 1st of April post. Isn't God just downright cool?
Many in my Church are being tested in their faith at this time. For me, the battle is in my mind. I have been praying that God will cover my whole family, Fab, his family, our Church, our friends and myself. I missed the service on Sunday because I got one of my pounding migraines and went home to throw up. It wasn't that bad initially though. I left it too late to take any medication and well, I have a feeling I kind of brought it upon myself. I haven't been feeling too well since. I've had this since I was a kid. Mum's like that too. We can have a headache every day and feel nauseous every day. Still praying for total healing. Anyway, I was meant to back up sing in the worship team. Fab was leading. Apparently I missed an awesome service. God's presence was said to be so strong. The sermon was amazing. And I missed it. Makes me sad to have been left out. But I can only blame myself. Maybe I was not adequately prepared and if I had been there, I would have been a weak link and messed it up. But to think like that is silly. I may not be up to scratch but if God wanted to move and to do something, no one could have stopped Him. So back to being sad for missing out. Big time. My point is, during the service, everyone was encouraged and challenged. There have been some rough times for various ones and there are more to come. We need to be ready. We need to know where our confidence is at and make sure it is in God alone. Not in ourselves or even in others. Certainly not in material things.
I came back to my office to breathe and calm down. All I could say to myself was, "God will vindicate, God knows what He is doing, He sees everything, He is not negligent or slow in responding, He loves us, He cares and will act when the time is right and justice will be brought about". What would I say if I were living in that village and made to do something so awful? Would I keep my confidence in God? Would I trust Him even if I was not protected from such an ordeal? Would I have faith that His promises and plans were still to prosper and not to harm me?
Last night (Wednesday the 1st), I chaired our home cell group meeting. Actually, I had forgotten that I was to do so because the roster went out on Tuesday and I only took a quick look to see if I was supposed to bring something for dinner. So I got a tad anxious and prayed to God for Him to lead me. I said, "God, my mind is racing to find a passage in the Bible to share but you know what? I don't want to pick one I think will apply to them or will be good. It needs to be what You want to say to them tonight." That's when God prompted me to read Jeremiah 17: 7-8 to the group after worship.
And guess what? Looks like Darlene had the same verse in her Bible Study. She wrote about it in her Wednesday the 1st of April post. Isn't God just downright cool?
Many in my Church are being tested in their faith at this time. For me, the battle is in my mind. I have been praying that God will cover my whole family, Fab, his family, our Church, our friends and myself. I missed the service on Sunday because I got one of my pounding migraines and went home to throw up. It wasn't that bad initially though. I left it too late to take any medication and well, I have a feeling I kind of brought it upon myself. I haven't been feeling too well since. I've had this since I was a kid. Mum's like that too. We can have a headache every day and feel nauseous every day. Still praying for total healing. Anyway, I was meant to back up sing in the worship team. Fab was leading. Apparently I missed an awesome service. God's presence was said to be so strong. The sermon was amazing. And I missed it. Makes me sad to have been left out. But I can only blame myself. Maybe I was not adequately prepared and if I had been there, I would have been a weak link and messed it up. But to think like that is silly. I may not be up to scratch but if God wanted to move and to do something, no one could have stopped Him. So back to being sad for missing out. Big time. My point is, during the service, everyone was encouraged and challenged. There have been some rough times for various ones and there are more to come. We need to be ready. We need to know where our confidence is at and make sure it is in God alone. Not in ourselves or even in others. Certainly not in material things.
1 comment:
don't you just love it when God leads us so specifically in His word and then uses others to affirm? I enjoyed that story.
I'm sorry that you struggled so in the physical realm due in part to your mental battle. The mind is our biggest battle. Keep pouring His truth in when the doubt and fret come. His word will not return void. He will bring justice and mercy and victory in His perfect time. Don't try to figure out sin. It's ugly. It exists. But only for a time. Our Messiah will return and gather His children. Until then we are to live like victors. The joy of the Lord is my strength.
love...Lisa
Post a Comment