Monday, 24 February 2014

Who makes our home?

It is always enjoyable to catch up with Rachelle and I often wish we had more opportunities to do so. She stayed over on Saturday and we chatted until one in the morning after getting comfortable on a sofa following dinner. Our 'deep and meaningful' session continued for a few more hours as we sat down for brunch the next day and spoke about her recent trip to the States, ministry and personal struggles. While reflecting on what she shared about the home of a lady she met at Bethel Church, I formed the thoughts for this post. 

When Rachelle entered the lady's home, she felt a comforting sense of peace and made mention of this as she commented on the beautiful interior decor. The lady's response, in my paraphrased version, was "You know how Satan takes things that God created for good to make it a snare for people? Well, while the world may practice feng shui to bring in luck and prosperity, we can look at ways to move things around so the spiritual atmosphere shifts and God's wonderful presence is ushered in." This statement got me pondering about the choices we have made regarding our home.

Until today, we have yet to include God in our decision-making process with regards to the presentation of our home. Fab and I have been purchasing items we like and find functional to fill the spaces of our new home, but we are by no means experts at interior decorating. It's quite ironic actually given I do have strong preferences, most of which Fab is entirely agreeable with. However, when it comes to execution, we're not very effective. It would have made more sense to sit down over a lunch date to explore various styles and pick one or a blend of to apply with commitment. We know it will take time to transform each space into one that is truly loved, given there are existing elements we do not fully appreciate but have accepted for want of finances and time. Nevertheless, the lack of a guiding overarching theme is probably not helping.

Whenever we visit Andy and Katie's home, I feel I've entered a homely resort. Their place is a colourful medley of gorgeous furniture and decorative pieces collected over time and from different countries. I marvel at how everything comes together in perfect harmony, and draws you in to stay longer each time. I always leave secretly wishing for Katie's keen eye for detail and superb sense of style. There is so much to look at and discover but their home is not cluttered. It is comfortable and wonderful, a real treat when accompanied by the most delicious home-made meals and warm friendship. 

One difference I can think of to their approach is that Andy and Katie also make the time to source for raw materials with potential, and construct beautiful bookshelves, display stands, photo frames and other lovely items. I, on the other hand, am too lazy to put action to any creative ideas I come across. The problem with this is I seldom find it worthwhile to pay for what I really want at homeware stores, so we tend to end up with a mish-mash of things that do not necessarily create the look we hope for. It's all very silly really. 

Anyway, back to the point on ushering in God's presence. I have begun to wonder whether our home looks and feels rather dull because we have not allowed God to direct our choices in terms of what we purchase and how we arrange everything within each room. Even though there are spaces to fill to make the place cosier, I believe our home could still provide a breath of fresh air to whomever we invite in. I want friends and family to tangibly feel God's peace when they enter. 

I know this will be in part attributed to the way we speak and act as well, as we could have the most aesthetically captivating home but fail to make our guests feel welcome and loved. It is also absolutely crucial that we let God reside at the centre of our lives and in our home as we cannot expect Him to be present if we spend our days neglecting our relationship with Him. In saying this, I am going to ensure we make it a habit to read God's Word to Phoebe every day, and fill our home with worship unto Him. In preparation, we bought a children's bible last weekend. 

Up to this point, I have been focused on having a visually pleasing home instead of prioritising what is more important - whether we have invited God in and made Him want to stay for as long as we reside here. Prior to moving in, my parents and Fab prayed a prayer of cleansing over each corner of the house. I didn't join them as I was still very ill. Although we took that first crucial step, it has occurred to me that we need to continually pray over our home in the same way we do for other aspects of our lives, particularly in this season where we are still bringing in new elements into the house. I desire for God's presence to fill every nook and cranny of this place, and for our lives to be a testament to others of His goodness, love and grace. 

I will have to put more thought into what I choose to invest in from now on, as it's not just about paying for pieces that will tie well together and look good, but about creating a home where we and others can feel relaxed in, inspired, and above all, closer to our Father God. 

Side note: Grilled Vietnamese pork chops for dinner tonight; the lingering smell of marinade on my hands is making my mouth water already! 








No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails