Thursday, 30 November 2006

Sacrifice - the acorn for the oak tree


In her book on 'Passion and Purity' Elisabeth Elliot teaches a very simple yet potentially (potentially because it relies upon human will, on choice) life-changing message about sacrifice. To the rational being who sees what is temporary as opposed to eternal (in light of all things God-ward), giving up of something "deeply needed" seems only logical if what is lost is replaced with something of far greater value. Yet it often is difficult to imagine the weight of reward this new thing can bring. Many choose to cling to what is now deemed important with few being wise and/or bold (or willing) enough to exchange it.

God has often prompted me to let go of what I hold dear in my life insofar as it means I have misplaced my security and thus am effectively destroying myself. With His gentle prompts have come persuations in promises of far greater things to come. I recall a vision once said of me: You are like a little girl clinging onto her favourite toys. Her loving father wishes to embrace her and place in her hands a more precious gift...one that will not break or bore...but how can she return his embrace and receive the gift if she ardently refuses to let go of what she holds?

Still, I have clung hard and still God encourages and waits for a change of mind, for until the acorn is sacrificed, the majestic oak tree cannot be birthed and grown to full strength and glory. So until I can give my "rights" to God and place my ultimate security in Him and not in people who may fail or perish or in possessions that may be destroyed, I cannot mature to my full potential in Him...to the person He has made me to be. Are you on your way to fulfilling that grand purpose God has for your life?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails