Thursday, 30 November 2006

How banga!

What are the odds? After publishing the post on the acorn and the oak tree, I did a search in Google on the word "banga" and in one of the search items found this quote, "Today's Banga message: CHANGE - In the tiny acorn is a giant tree" Oh my goodness! For those of you who know me, "banga" is a term I picked up from my family since a child. To us, it is not a proper word and we have never stopped to find its true meaning. We use it randomly when we cannot find the perfect word to express ourselves. Usually it carries a slightly negative connotation but also in a rather light-hearted quirky sort of way...as you can see I am struggling to find the right descriptives. My sister and I call each other "Banga". To us, it has become a term of endearment. As I said, we have never found its true meaning and so please do not take offence if you hear me calling you one.

Wikipedia says that Banga is a 4th class municipality in the province of Aklan, Philippines. According to the 2000 census, it has a population of 32,128 people in 6,469 households. This small town has repeatedly won national competitions for the "Most Beautiful Town" contests in the country. It is the site of a popular educational institution in the province, the Aklan State University. As of 2006, the mayor of this town is Atty. Jeremy Fuentes.


Hah! I learn new things every day!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails