Monday, 1 December 2008

Was worth it

I hate public speaking. It makes me incredibly nervous, which gives me a runny tummy and overactive bladder, clammy hands and pangs of fear in my stomach that release acidic juices. Tried to convince Fab to take my place in sharing a testimony in front of the church on Sunday. I had gotten away with not having to do so for the past nine years.

I should be grateful that there weren't more than 30 or 40 people in the congregation. Still, I was shaking and couldn't quite focus on worshipping - was too occupied praying that God would take away the anxiety and be the one to speak through me - that I wouldn't say a word more or a word less than what He intended, that the message would not be self centred. Must be good training to keep me humble.

So anyhow, I got up there and did my spiel and was completely relieved afterward, laughing a little too loudly at jokes that were made about a separate topic during the chairing afterwards (no, not jokes about me). What really touched me was the encouragement I received after the service. Some commented I was cool, calm and confident. Others said I was honest and open and they appreciated that. Some gave me the thumbs up and said it was a good testimony and thanked me for sharing.

The one that really blessed my heart was this - a girl from South Korea approached me as she was leaving (mind you, I don't exactly know her), reached for my hand and very sincerely said, "thank you for sharing. It was a good testimony. You spoke about things I was thinking...", alluding to the fact that I had addressed an issue she was facing and so it spoke to her directly. Praise God for that anointing! I had no idea what I was going to share so it was the Holy Spirit all the way! All glory to Him alone!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails