Wednesday, 14 October 2009

Honour and Favour

This teaching by Kim Walker really speaks to me. I relate to so much of what she is saying and it's just such a great lesson to me. It's so true that there are times we feel like others are trying to box us in because perhaps they don't share the same perspective as us. But we can still choose to honour them as leaders over our lives and choose to honour their vision and partner with them and serve, instead of letting pride or the frustration and hurt we are feeling take over and walking away. When we're faithful with the favour we have been given and expended ourselves completely, God will open the doors and expand that favour in His perfect timing. I am, by nature, an impatient person. And I don't like the feeling of being shoved into what I consider to be a mould (some people are a lot more flexible and can just go along with most things and may not have such a huge reaction to certain matters as I do). So choosing to honour whomever the person is and choosing to be faithful instead of complaining and starting a revolution or turning my back and leaving can sometimes be a challenge to do inwardly (I tend not to overtly rebel or disobey or go against the grain with most things). But I realise it is so necessary.

Further teaching by Kim Walker on worship leading - this one is on song choice. What struck me about this was when she said we are not in denial when we choose not to sing about how we're really feeling (like if we've had a really rough day or are going through incredibly challenging times in our lives). The point of worship is to come to God and lay all of those things down at His feet and to recognise once again that He is God over everything and that it is all about Him. In that time of truly seeking Him and giving Him the honour, we find that God actually speaks into our situation or comforts us in our hurts or just meets us and though nothing may change in our circumstances, we are able to see them in new light or able to face them with new strength or just able to go on because He makes it possible even if it is difficult. It's so true because we can already spend a great deal of time dwelling on what is not well in our lives so why come into a time of worship doing that even more and causing ourselves to just spiral even lower. It does not mean we cannot come into that time and be honest with God in our minds and hearts. God desires our honesty and openness. We can definitely approach Him and tell Him we're in pain and need His redemption, His restoration, His healing, His presence, whatever it may be. We can be real because He wants us to be real. He does not want fake happiness and flowery words and masks but raw truthfulness. In our private moments, we can cry, we can scream and shout, we can do whatever. But don't forget that ultimately we are recognising His sovereignty once again. We are giving Him praise in our bad times and letting Him take control of what is causing us anger or grief or confusion or doubt or fear. This is something I often forget. I spend so much time focusing on my problems and yelling at God that I forget that He is God.

Oh Lord, I want to be in awe of You and remember that Your plans are to prosper and not to harm me. You are there to be glorified because of who You are. You are the lifter of my head. You are the Almighty One. What kind of friend would I be if I dishonoured You with my incessant questioning and bombarded you with hateful words or misunderstandings about Your intentions. You have been so loyal to me. I need to remember You have given me a spirit of love, power and a sound mind to choose to not immediately think the worst of You but be determined to claim that You are good even when I may not see it in the circumstances, because situations do not change who You are and what Your heart for me is like. They simply test my convictions of these.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails