Was thinking to write a post appreciating my permanent room mate, and noticed the verse on Biblegateway is Ephesians 5: 25-26 - “Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her...". That's Fab. The husband who loves fully and sacrificially.
Fab's a strong constant in my life. He's patient, stable, trustworthy and gives great cuddles. It doesn't bother him I like climbing into his lap for hugs and smothering his adorable face with kisses while making strange cooing sounds or speaking in gibberish. He tries very hard to understand his crazy wife and gives in to her many requests, being ever willing to baby her. Fab's been an incredible support during this frustrating journey and I know I couldn't have taken a step in a new direction if I didn't have him by my side.
He makes me laugh with his many expressions and cute antics that allow us to get up to silly nonsense when no one is looking. I love that he becomes more of a kid around me and is free to do birdie dances before brushing his teeth. He lets me nag him to wash his feet every night and set other "house rules" I adopted from my growing years. He also very sweetly warms my side of the bed during colder months, like a friendly giant hot water bottle who's nice to snuggle up to.
Fab's the one who sits beside me when I'm sick - to pray, tuck me under a blanket and provide medical attention. He cooks if ever I don't feel like doing so, and irons the shirt he wants to wear for the day every work-morning. He sings upon request and voluntarily does a jig if the right music is on in the car.
People sometimes ask how I knew Fab was the one and I would say, "There were two big clues. One, I wasn't self conscious around him for long, and found he was the only person I could just be (totally) myself with. And two, my parents warmed to him very quickly. In fact, he's the only friend my dad has ever asked about and allowed to drive my car." What was also important for me was to be accepted by his family, so when they gave the "all-ok", that was a big deal.
It's been ten years since I met Mr Then, and I am so grateful God brought this 'square' engineer into my life. We may struggle at times to communicate, with me processing in noodles and him reasoning within the compartments of a waffle-like grid fitted with neat electrical connections, but I know he's here to bring some form of balance in my life. A different sort of practicality.
He's been very good about my pushing him to open up, and letting me into his mind and heart. I'm weird like that. When someone is this close in how much they matter, I want them to get everything about me and to want me to know everything about them. I want to know. Everything about them, that is. I want us to be intertwined; a part of each other. I want to know what makes them tick, how they think, how they feel about things, what pushes their buttons, what makes their blood boil, what excites them, what gives them safety, security and fulfilment. And I want them to want to know these things about me.
Fab lets me dig deep though he doesn't always know how to respond or expose his 'insides' any further. My demands stretch him yet he willingly offers to accommodate my desires. Sometimes I wish this all happened more naturally but I've been told it's only natural there be some figuring out, adjustment and effort involved. I guess it keeps the relationship fun - discovering more of each other with time while learning to speak each other's love language. I'm really glad he's sticking around for life. Fab's definitely a companion I don't want to lose.
| The pie Fab made - referring to the Masterchef 2010 & Jamie Oliver's Ministry of Food cookbooks. Yum. |
No comments:
Post a Comment