Monday, 6 July 2009

Prepare for Rain


Isaiah 12:4 "In that day you will say: "Give thanks to the LORD, call on His name; make known among the nations what He has done, and proclaim that His name is exalted"

It's time to get ready for God's blessings. He is the giver of all good things. It's time to prepare myself to receive what God desires to pour out so that I may in turn be a blessing to others. When God blesses, we need to be ready to receive and not belittle how much He can do. We should also not insult Him by demanding that the blessings be given in a certain form (for example, "God, I want you to give me a million dollars otherwise I will not be happy with You). It is entirely up to Him to decide for He knows what is needed and what is best - what will ultimately serve His good, perfect and pleasing sovereign will and so bless the kingdom. We are currently preparing for a missions trip to Newcastle. Perhaps one of the blessings I can hope for would be to see people come to know the Lord for themselves and be healed from past hurts. I'll be praying for that anyway.

Fab and I watched "Facing the Giants" for the second time on Saturday when friends came over for a 'Dinner and DVD' get-together. I know the show has received critiques for unprofessional acting but the story line is heartwarming. The thing is, it's not just a feel-good show. It centres on godly principles and so demonstrates strong moral values and a simple faith. I recommend it. If Hollywood dropped an "L", which to me stands for "Lust", the backbone of many of their films, they'd be "Holywood", and I imagine then we would be seeing healthy films such as "Facing the Giants". Films that teach real family values and ways in which we should be relating and communicating with one another. A film that raises your hopes and makes you believe that when we place our trust in the One who has formed us in love, all things are possible. When I first saw it, I thought to myself, "this is pretty unrealistic. People do not speak like that when they're frustrated. I can just hear teenagers today calling the film producer and the actors "retarded freaks". Is this film relevant today?" BUT why shouldn't this become a reality across society today? Is this not what God calls us to? A life at a higher standard. Not settling for self centredness, aggression and vulgar language. Since when was compromise 'cool'? Why should it be?

A little story was shared by one of the characters in the show. A story that holds much truth and is applicable to all of us. It goes like this...there were two farmers. Both were struggling as their crops had not been thriving due to the long season of drought. Both prayed to God for rain but only one went out and prepared his fields to receive the rain. Naturally, this farmer had the faith that God was able to provide and would as He is a good God. Which one are we when we face situations that bring about a great need in our lives?

One way I need to prepare myself is in my thinking. I need to allow God to shape my perspective and not try to understand His thoughts and ways with my short-sighted and limited human reasoning. I need to see situations through God's eyes and not rely on information I get from any form of media (be it the news or the internet or magazines and books) or even soley on the testimonies of people. God sees what none of us see. I need to see in the spiritual and fight in the spiritual. Only then will I be more effective and see breakthrough.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails