Sunday, 28 February 2010

Branching Out


It may soon be time to start a new blog. This one will be kept as my personal space to voice out pretty much everything - updates, feelings on issues that are more important to me, random thoughts, and most importantly the God related things. The other one will be more, well, professional (less personal and diversified in terms of content) in a sense.

I'm starting a 5-week online feature writing course tomorrow so the other blog will give me room to test-run what I'll be learning. Module One was meant to be accessible since Friday but the link is 'dead'. Oh well, I shall wait for tomorrow. The anticipation grows. I am wondering how demanding this course will be. This will definitely require sincere attention and discipline. I cannot afford to get complacent and put in the bare minimum. Hopefully there will be much to gain from this programme. In part, I am taking the course out of interest, but I do hope that it leads to something more. I am not keen to simply return to the mundane life of a basic administrator.

I've been inspired by the movie "Julie & Julia", and have seen it twice so far. The story just makes me feel good and I kept thinking about it since seeing it the first time, so I got my husband to watch it with me last night and he enjoyed it too, perhaps mostly because of all the food! I love the way it was filmed and something about Julie's life, as portrayed in the movie, resonated with mine.

Could it be that she too was turning 30, felt trapped in her emotionally-sapping secretarial job, and was in a way lost? Or that she wanted to write and was searching for a way to creatively release the tension she felt with where she was at in life? Or that she had a short attention span and found it hard to finish something she started? I would say 'all of the above'. Plus she was married to a wonderfully supportive man who was stable and calm, even in the midst of her emotional storms - just the way I am. My husband is all too familiar with my little meltdowns and drammatic responses to things not going as I expect them to. Yet he remains patient and unperturbed and pulls me in, with kind reassurance, for a comforting hug.

What struck me as interesting is that Julie's blog on her Julia Child project was simple. It did not have a fancy background design to go with it or a pretty format with attractive fonts, or even photographs. Yet readers found her and loved her. And her brave attempt to give something new a shot led to many wonderful opportunities. I can only dream of having a similar experience. This is step one. I have finally taken action towards learning something for real instead of merely imagining it all day long.

If you're reading this, please feel free to send along some encouragement my way.




Wallpapers downloaded from the official website for the movie

2 comments:

Charismatic said...

big hug to my big sister :)...supporting u all the way

lisaqshay said...

go for it!!! we enjoyed the movie as well. i thot meryl streep was amazing! i completely forgot that she was meryl streep and swore i was watching julia herself.

Related Posts with Thumbnails