Sunday, 7 February 2010

Melbourne in a week



wwww wwww
wwwwweeCentral Station and St Patrick's Cathedral

wwww wwww

wwwwwee"Little Cupcakes" on Degraves St, Flinders Lane
wwwww eeIntroduced by Cherri. The cupcakes are divine!

Fab and I were in Melbourne for a week. He's started a year-long graduate certificate to help him advance in his line of work (Fire Services Engineering). The course requires him to travel to Melbourne four times a year for four days each time. As I am now officially unemployed and free, I decided to tag along. Well, the main reason was the class started on his birthday so I thought I would at least go to accompany him in the evenings and celebrate his special day there. We got to meet up with Cherri, Tse Mein, Kirsten and Jackie on the Wednesday for dinner to catch up, talk about the good ol' days and stuff our faces with Chinese food and cake for Fab.

I'm grateful for this break from work. It'll give me the opportunity to explore new things and unravel what I'm good at and will most likely enjoy doing for hopefully the rest of my life, if not a large part of it anyway. The week in Melbourne was spent finding creative ways to scout the city without parting with the pennies in my purse. I discovered that there are a number of ways to stay entertained on a budget but it would depend on whether these fit in with your interests.

wwwwwwww
For starters, there is the free city circle tram and the free city bus for tourists which offer a comfortable ride, reprieve from the glaring sun and a guided tour of the main attractions. You are free to hop on and off at any of the designated stops to get a better look of the area before continuing or making your own way to another location. I sat on the tram for a second round just to capture a photo of the famous "cow in the tree" sculpture. I found it too amusing to pass up.

Secondly, there is the State Library which offers free exhibits that I suspect are periodically changed. It was there that I read the full history of the infamous Ned Kelly and discreetly took a photo of his 'tin can' suit (above), amongst other things. The National Gallery of Victoria hosts a variety of fascinating exhibits as well, most of which are displayed on a temporary basis, just to keep things interesting. The Gallery is split between two buildings, walking distance apart. One at the Federation Square (the Australian collection) and the other (the international collection) further along St Kilda Road, just across the river. I took my time with all the exhibits, reading about the artworks and soaking in the cultures represented.

True to its reputation, Melbourne displayed its different seasons all in the one short week, allowing me to experience the cold, the wet, the windy and the super hot. Thankfully it did not rain on my parade and I was able to cover much ground on foot. I did quite a bit of reflecting during my week there, particularly in response to some of the exhibits I saw (I chose one - The Immigration Museum - of the museums to visit as there is an entrance fee to each) and the conversation I had with a UNHCR representative. I will write more about this encounter in my next post. For now, I shall keep things light.

So to end on a happy note, here is the picture of the cow in the tree.

In hindsight, this may be a disturbing
reminder for say, a farmer, of a terrible
flood taking his livestock :(

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails