Tuesday, 31 May 2011

27 million in slavery

[Video: A21 Campaign]
 
The number is probably more because it would be hard to get an accurate picture, particularly in developing nations or where human trafficking is so well hidden. In rural regions as well. And this does not include women and children who are being abused in their own homes. By their own families. By the families they've been forced to marry into. By the soldiers who should be protecting their own people not using them like toys to be tossed out. It just makes me sick. All of it. 

How could it exist to this extent? How can people be this cruel? So hard in their hearts they feel nothing towards another's plight? How can one take pleasure from another's excruciating pain? How can men even think of using children (children!!!!) I want this to end. I want this to end NOW. Is the good moving as fast or faster than the bad in this world? Are we making a difference? "A child is trafficked every 26 seconds." (Destiny Rescue Australia) That's one child every time you inhale two breaths. 

At some point, I began burying this burden away, overwhelmed and furious at God; at men. But there will always be the guilt of living in my bubble wrap-protected life while someone else is living in the disgusting reality of having to serve at least 40 men a day. 

To think this has been going on for centuries. To think slavery is at its peak since the beginning of time. To think it wasn't just a story in our history textbooks about the days of Abraham Lincoln or William Wilberforce. OUTRAGEOUS! 

I can hide away in the pretty blogs and stores with my dreams of a floaty life. I can live in the artificial universe created by romantic movies, funny TV dramas, fictitious books and music videos. I can continue to pretend the whole world is peachy because it's a matter of switching channels and finding the things I enjoy. But we're talking about 27 million people and counting. 27 million real lives. 27 million individuals. 

It has to go from seeing this as a distant statistic someone else will address, to seeing them as ourselves, our loved ones, our friends. Someone personally related. Someone we're emotionally connected to in a big way. It's not such a far away concept any more then. 

Each of you reading this has a mother or a sister or a daughter or a friend you would protect. Or you can consider, "What would you want someone to do if you found yourself in this horrible predicament?" It's a trap. People don't know how to get out. They're scared. They're lost. They hate it. Yes, even those who initially willingly got involved in the pornography industry, and put on a false front for the media to think they love their job.

It's happening right on our door step

There are lies, being protected, that need to be broken. There are lives being broken that need to be protected. 


Where do we start?

  • Interceding God's way - I've often yelled and asked a million questions because it's so hard for me to grasp His heart on this. I've prayed for my definition of justice and vindication, but they amount to nothing as I have no love for the perpetrators. I've harboured murderous thoughts instead. Contrived ways of torturing them in my head. I wanted God to punish them in a way that would make them endure every single thing they put their victim/s through. I wanted them to live through the entire ordeal. The fear, the shame, the betrayal, the pain. Everything. Every emotion, every thought, every physical reaction. What is God's way?
  • Gathering others who share the same burden - to have the support of people who understand how strongly you feel about this, and can work with you so the burden turns into vision and action and practical progress and positive change
  • Partnering with organisations that are doing the work - A21 Campaign, Destiny Rescue...there has been a rise in people standing up to say, "Enough is enough!" and do something (Refer to the list under my tab 'Social Justice & Intercession' under the blog header banner)
  • Be an ambassador/advocate - get tools and resources from the organisations and get the word out in your circle of influence

Our Church has invited the Australian Director of Destiny Rescue to speak with us on August 6. He will inform and equip us to get children out of the sex trade in Thailand. 

We are also going to use our creativity to get the word to those still living in a bubble so more are on board with turning the nightmare around. 

What will you do after shutting down your computer? 

1 comment:

Charismatic said...

Edmund Burke, an 18th century British statesman and political theorist, said: “The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men [and women] to do nothing.”

Related Posts with Thumbnails