Wednesday, 8 October 2008

walk across the bridge


It looked at though the clouds had all gathered together for a meeting, save for two small wispy ones that sat side-by-side in the not too far away distance, which left the expanse of the sky a distinct clear bright blue. The mass caught my eye and I asked God what the pattern meant and if was too busy to paint the sky a more fancy picture. Most days sport skies with clouds swirled into gushing oceans and snow peaked mountains, and warm hues of colour splashed beneath. Today, there was just this rather bland large white mass and two feathers in the distance. The first word that came to mind as I enquired to its meaning (and no, I do not go around trying to interpret cloud patterns and asking God if everyday's portrait means something but I felt compelled to inquire today) was "Focus".

The sky could be seen to represent my heart and mind, and the clouds my thoughts (priorities, perspectives...). With this analogy, the large mass would be a reminder to be focused in my thinking. To unclutter my heart and mind and make the main thing the main thing. The remnant clouds might stand for thoughts or areas of my life that I have not addressed in line with what my main focus should be. They are the things that take my attention and energy away and make me less effective and efficient. What could these be in relation to my life? What am I allowing to linger and have a place where clarity and focus ought to be?

Perhaps there is more to discover as to what God might be revealing to me. It is true that I am easily distracted and have misplaced priorities. Just as a word of caution: Don't go reading too much into cloud patterns. God will speak in a way we can relate. I'm one of those people who sometimes has her head in the clouds so what better way for God to get my attention?

As i was writing the title (for this post) that first popped into my head, it occurred to me that God has spoken to me through two very different people on two very different occasions about walking across the bridge that lies in front of me. About moving forward with confidence in God though my emotions and limited vision leave me fearful. About crossing over, overcoming, stepping into new things and becoming more.

I walk across the Green Bridge to my office at UQ every morning and back to Dutton Park every evening. That's where I drive to before Fab takes over to go to work and where Fab fetches me on our way home now that we're both on the Coast. It worked out to be far less driving in , as opposed to taking the train, since our cars run on LPG, and far more convenient in terms of not having to then catch a bus and waste more time considering I'm away from the city centre. This also gives us time together which we appreciate. I drive in so Fab can read out the 'Daily Devotional for Couples' in the car while the day is still bright (I'm unable to read in a moving vehicle). Each daily passage ends with a probing question or prompt for mutual sharing and discussion. This has opened up opportunities for us to share about our thoughts and feelings on the matter, which often leads to us sharing about our past (upbringing, experiences etc) and our relationship (really helps us learn more about each other and work through any differences). It's a time I would not want to trade.

1 comment:

Charismatic said...

You know...heaps happy to see you really enjoying yr life together! meet up in 2 weeks maybe?Monday night?how's that

Related Posts with Thumbnails