"...In the world it calls itself Tolerance; but in Hell it is called Despair. … It is the sin which believes in nothing, cares for nothing, seeks to know nothing, interferes with nothing, enjoys nothing, loves nothing, hates nothing, finds purpose in nothing, lives for nothing, and only remains alive because there is nothing it would die for...."
Dorothy Sayers
There are many things in life to which I have come to develop a sense of apathy. Though my heart mourns for women and children abused and for families torn apart, I have come to be numb towards those whose lives seem to be well on the surface. Worse, I have come to not care if those who bring pain to others' lives receive judgement. I have no concern for their end, no qualms of them living an eternity without God, no desire for their salvation. Which is scary if you really think about it. On the one hand, I cry out to God for Him to move in this world, to stop the violence, to not make me look upon injustice. On the other hand, He asks that I reach out to those I encounter daily and tell them of His existence and His goodness, and I decline the offer or shy away from any potential opportunity. The irony. One day I hope for my heart to love all people. Even those who seem to take a sick pleasure out of inflicting misery upon another. What will it take for God to bring about such a change in me? Will I need to be broken by such a person, only to be restored by God and compelled by His love and mercy towards me to extend forgiveness and grace? I dare not think. I look for hope. I long for peace. I struggle with truth. I wait for justice.
2 Peter 1: 5-9 "For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ"
2 Peter 1: 5-9 "For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ"
1 comment:
Beautiful post, and quote. Ah, we certainly fall short of the glory of God. yes. And yet... He still continues to use us, as we get back up, knock the dust off our feet, and do His work.
After your last comment (which I went ahead and deleted at your request), I am thinking about doing a post on "crossing the line into mommy-hood." I have another friend who has recently come to me with the same question. Interesting how God works...
I will say one thing now. Remember that Fear is NOT from the Lord. If you are being paralyzed, or mostly paralyzed by fears... it is from evil that these fears are coming. Ask God what His will is for your life, then you must be obedient.
Just prayed for you, dear one!
Darlene
Post a Comment