Tuesday, 23 November 2010

In step with God

I looked up to see a pair of birds gliding across the pale blue-grey sky as I drove out of my estate this morning. They moved together, swaying as if with the wind. Though side by side, one was slightly behind and appeared to be mirroring the other. It kept in step, or should I say flight, effortlessly. Watching them while the gate opened, I considered the relationship between the pair.

How does one keep in step with another as if it were completely natural? I would think it takes trust and a close bond. If I know my partner well and trust their character and decisions, I will not be tempted to carve my own path or get flustered trying to match their pace. Their behaviour will not shock or confuse me as to throw me off beat.

Is it not this way when we come to know God's heart and attune ourselves to His Spirit? I remember Millie once telling me that the Spirit is like a dove sitting on our shoulder. A dove is a gentle bird, one that can easily be shaken. With this in mind, we would be careful of our actions to not startle the dove or cause it to leave. Sinning serves as sudden jolts in our walk, which grieve the dove.

If I know my God, in whom my identity and security are founded, I will be able to flow alongside as He moves through the different seasons of life.

Speaking of seasons, I was inspired by Vanessa (Chia) today. It was a fruitful time of sharing and prayer. She noticed the number plate of a black car we were following on our way to West End for cupcakes. PSM37 it was. As I was pouring out the tea, she said, "Psalm 37, I must read it again. Did you see the license plate of the car in front of us earlier?" I fished out my Bible and read the passage aloud. What a timely word for us both. She gave me a high-five as a I closed the Book.

Apart from opening up about her experiences and personal encounters with God this year, she made a comment that stuck. A comment about understanding what we're asking of God. She was listening to the song "Show me Your glory" by Jesus Culture and reflecting on what she calls 'powerful lyrics', when the question popped in.

"Do I know what I am asking for?" She began asking God what His glory looks and feels like, and what occurs when His glory is revealed. She considered Bible passages that speak of God's glory and realised it was largely associated with His holiness. When God showed His glory, sin was exposed and those who were present thought they were going to die. "One must die to oneself. Everything that is unnecessary needs to be stripped away", Vanessa said.

This taught me something. When I worship God through songs or offer prayers, am I fully aware of what I am professing or requesting? Do I mean the words my mouth utters? When I sang "Show me Your glory" in church, were these just empty words?

I can now say they were because I honestly did not put much thought into what I was voicing. I did not stop to ponder over the lyrics or ask myself if I knew what I was asking of the Lord. Perhaps that is why I did not encounter His glory. Had He shown up that way, I might as well have been zapped for where was my heart at anyway? Still steeped in sin un-confessed and un-dealt with. I still do not fully comprehend what God's glory is but at least I know now to look into these things. When I discover the meaning behind God's Word and receive revelation from His Spirit, I can impart this to others so they too may worship Him in spirit and in truth.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails