I'm a stickler to my ways. If I do something a certain way, then that thing is always done that way. If I learn how to do something a certain way, that is the way it is always done. Illustration A: When I lived at Yen's, the ironing board was kept in the bathroom I used. It sat behind the door beside the shower room. That ironing board had a problem with keeping still. Actually, it might have had some form of balancing disease. I forget the word I am looking for. So anyway, the result of that was the ironing board would sometimes land (painfully) on my foot if accidentally nudged, or would simply lean forward and plunge to its death on the bathroom floor. To alleviate the problem, I would help the ironing board by tilting him more so that he was firmly depending on the wall. Alternatively, I placed him at an angle against the corner of the adjacent bathroom and shower stall walls. This seemed to work. I always placed him face forwards (ironing side towards me) as this was how I found him originally.
Then one day, Fab came along. I don't recall the circumstances surrounding this incident but he brought a change of clothes with him and needed to take a shower and iron the shirt he was about to wear. So I left him to it (obviously) and fiddled in my room. He came out minutes later and proceeded to pack his things in the living room. I popped into the bathroom to relieve myself and Lo and Behold! Mr Ironing Board was sitting pretty flat up against the wall as if he was in detention (i.e. facing the wall). It was the perfect arrangement! I mean, I don't know how Mr Ironing Board felt but this stopped all falling problems. It was a miracle! Yes, you see now what I'm getting at? For the life of me, it just never occurred to my little brain that I ought to turn him around.
It's little things like this that make me realise how differently Fab and I can think. Now that we're married, we're discovering how often we say the same things at almost the exact same time (he always beats me by a few seconds - I have a close friend who used to do that all the time since Secondary School). But! In terms of reasoning and logic and what have you, we can be rather unalike. He's got the mind of a practical engineer and I think in spaghetti. Yes, I do have a certain level of practicality when it comes to packing or purchasing items, but I often fail to think outside of the box I am in or simply see things as they are - well, let's face it, anyone would have turned the ironing board around! I marvel sometimes at the little comments and suggestions Fab makes. It's even laughable at times, as his little interjections (possibly because he found me struggling quietly with something in the corner, muttering to myself) bring the realisation that I was being stuck with a certain notion again, some very silly mindset. I think he's brilliant and I love the way he complements me.
There are times, though, when my stubborness does not cave and I stick to my beliefs that I know it all and I know it best. When this happens, I don't accept the suggestions so well. Really goes to show how proud I am. This particularly occurs when I am being somewhat corrected. Not reprimanded but in a sense evaluated. Or (a pet hate of mine in some sense) being told of something I already know or am about to do anyway. Illustration B: I'll be driving (which I am still not great at as I tend to get very easily distracted and have poor sense of judgement and react slowly to situations, plus I have a wonky eye that does not help much), and we'll be in traffic and I'll do something (not very wise if you think about it afterwards), or sometimes I will not have even done anything, and Fab will gently say, "Be careful dear" and I'll bite his head off "Yeeessss, I knowwwww! I saw that carrrr!". Bad response (notice the hissing). Poor Fab then shrinks back into the seat and stays hush for a bit before slowly introducing another topic of discussion (if I don't, out of guilt or bipolar disease making me forget my irritation in three seconds).
Technically he can't shrink back too much because of his height and build, but you get what I mean. Due to my lousy eye, I have developed a way to avoid blind spots when changing lanes leftwise. There's a good angle in which one can check out the rearview mirror prior to proceeding with the lane change. Unfortunately, Fab is my blind spot. His head is all I can see in the rearview mirror at that angle. Poor thing. He has to put the chair down a bit and lean back to enable my vision.
Have I mentioned I'm loving married life? He's so good to me, I tell you...he's the best! *Happy Sigh*
Then one day, Fab came along. I don't recall the circumstances surrounding this incident but he brought a change of clothes with him and needed to take a shower and iron the shirt he was about to wear. So I left him to it (obviously) and fiddled in my room. He came out minutes later and proceeded to pack his things in the living room. I popped into the bathroom to relieve myself and Lo and Behold! Mr Ironing Board was sitting pretty flat up against the wall as if he was in detention (i.e. facing the wall). It was the perfect arrangement! I mean, I don't know how Mr Ironing Board felt but this stopped all falling problems. It was a miracle! Yes, you see now what I'm getting at? For the life of me, it just never occurred to my little brain that I ought to turn him around.
It's little things like this that make me realise how differently Fab and I can think. Now that we're married, we're discovering how often we say the same things at almost the exact same time (he always beats me by a few seconds - I have a close friend who used to do that all the time since Secondary School). But! In terms of reasoning and logic and what have you, we can be rather unalike. He's got the mind of a practical engineer and I think in spaghetti. Yes, I do have a certain level of practicality when it comes to packing or purchasing items, but I often fail to think outside of the box I am in or simply see things as they are - well, let's face it, anyone would have turned the ironing board around! I marvel sometimes at the little comments and suggestions Fab makes. It's even laughable at times, as his little interjections (possibly because he found me struggling quietly with something in the corner, muttering to myself) bring the realisation that I was being stuck with a certain notion again, some very silly mindset. I think he's brilliant and I love the way he complements me.
There are times, though, when my stubborness does not cave and I stick to my beliefs that I know it all and I know it best. When this happens, I don't accept the suggestions so well. Really goes to show how proud I am. This particularly occurs when I am being somewhat corrected. Not reprimanded but in a sense evaluated. Or (a pet hate of mine in some sense) being told of something I already know or am about to do anyway. Illustration B: I'll be driving (which I am still not great at as I tend to get very easily distracted and have poor sense of judgement and react slowly to situations, plus I have a wonky eye that does not help much), and we'll be in traffic and I'll do something (not very wise if you think about it afterwards), or sometimes I will not have even done anything, and Fab will gently say, "Be careful dear" and I'll bite his head off "Yeeessss, I knowwwww! I saw that carrrr!". Bad response (notice the hissing). Poor Fab then shrinks back into the seat and stays hush for a bit before slowly introducing another topic of discussion (if I don't, out of guilt or bipolar disease making me forget my irritation in three seconds).
Technically he can't shrink back too much because of his height and build, but you get what I mean. Due to my lousy eye, I have developed a way to avoid blind spots when changing lanes leftwise. There's a good angle in which one can check out the rearview mirror prior to proceeding with the lane change. Unfortunately, Fab is my blind spot. His head is all I can see in the rearview mirror at that angle. Poor thing. He has to put the chair down a bit and lean back to enable my vision.
Have I mentioned I'm loving married life? He's so good to me, I tell you...he's the best! *Happy Sigh*
1 comment:
awwww.......sooooo sweet!!!!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment