I'm working on trying to fill my mind with the truth of God instead of the thoughts that consume me and make me incapable of living with freedom and of bringing God's freedom to others. Just listened to the first sermon (Devotion Emotion) in a three-part series on Worrying by Andy Stanley, and I'd like to share it with you. When you click on the link provided, search through until you come to the picture of a turquoise square with two interlinking shapes.
What he says is so true, our worry is attached to what we are most devoted to in life. If we are devoted to being financially stable and providing a secure future for our family, and making sure that our children have the best in life, and that we are able to retire by a certain age, then our emotion of worry is most likely related to these areas. If we are concerned with what we are going to do with our lives especially if we are facing cross roads at the moment, than we will worry about this. But he asks, "are any of these individual things life? Does life equate to our health, our safety, our retirement plans?" Maybe we might think it does. Maybe we will say it equates to the summary of these things. But the scripture in Matthew 6: 24-34 suggests that we are myopic, that we have become hyper focused on these areas and have lost sight of the true big picture. I am hoping to discover more of what God sees and knows to be the big picture - His definition of what life really is.
Good point to note: Do not worry does not mean do not care. We still need to be responsible and do all we can with what we do have control over. But it does mean that after we have done so, we can sit back and trust that God will pull all other details together - the things we do not have control over. "Do your best and God will do the rest" (My mum's favourite phrase)
I need to see how I can apply this to worrying about protection and security when others out there are not even safe in their own homes. I could be one of those people but God placed me in a loving, Christian home with parents who have provided everything I could ever need. Do I believe that since He was willing and able to do all He has done so far and has been what He has been all this while, that He will continue to do so? Despite the fact that I may not be able to see that God is doing this for other people? I want them to have what I have. I want them to be loved and cared for and to have hope and a future without harm.
It's 3pm and I've finished the series. It's easy to take down the notes, to know that the sermons I hear are for me. But it is even easier not to do anything about where I'm at in life. I need to put the principles into practice. I need to pray and seek God on how I can live out these principles to see a change in my attitude, my character, my thinking, my perspective, my relationship with others, my stewardship, my life as a whole.
I stayed home today as I have not been feeling all that great. My body is very sore and my head has been heavy and spinning and my throat started getting that inflamed glands kind of sensation with the scratchiness. Quite a few of my colleagues have glandular fever and have been unwell since early last year even. Illness seems very common in my workplace. I think the bugs get trapped in the air conditioning vent and keep circulating. Anyway, I've actually been doing really well considering. Yes, you may attribute my ailments to a lack of exercise and possibly even my diet. Will need to pray for my colleagues because even the fit and health conscious are being hit hard. It's been a rather productive day so far, with keeping and washing more laundry, spending time crying out to God, listening to His Word, cooking a pot of soup for dinner (I love the thermal cooker my mum bought me!). Dinner preparation can start late since Fab won't reach the station until 8:30 tonight. Shall try to work on scripture memorising now.
What he says is so true, our worry is attached to what we are most devoted to in life. If we are devoted to being financially stable and providing a secure future for our family, and making sure that our children have the best in life, and that we are able to retire by a certain age, then our emotion of worry is most likely related to these areas. If we are concerned with what we are going to do with our lives especially if we are facing cross roads at the moment, than we will worry about this. But he asks, "are any of these individual things life? Does life equate to our health, our safety, our retirement plans?" Maybe we might think it does. Maybe we will say it equates to the summary of these things. But the scripture in Matthew 6: 24-34 suggests that we are myopic, that we have become hyper focused on these areas and have lost sight of the true big picture. I am hoping to discover more of what God sees and knows to be the big picture - His definition of what life really is.
Good point to note: Do not worry does not mean do not care. We still need to be responsible and do all we can with what we do have control over. But it does mean that after we have done so, we can sit back and trust that God will pull all other details together - the things we do not have control over. "Do your best and God will do the rest" (My mum's favourite phrase)
I need to see how I can apply this to worrying about protection and security when others out there are not even safe in their own homes. I could be one of those people but God placed me in a loving, Christian home with parents who have provided everything I could ever need. Do I believe that since He was willing and able to do all He has done so far and has been what He has been all this while, that He will continue to do so? Despite the fact that I may not be able to see that God is doing this for other people? I want them to have what I have. I want them to be loved and cared for and to have hope and a future without harm.
It's 3pm and I've finished the series. It's easy to take down the notes, to know that the sermons I hear are for me. But it is even easier not to do anything about where I'm at in life. I need to put the principles into practice. I need to pray and seek God on how I can live out these principles to see a change in my attitude, my character, my thinking, my perspective, my relationship with others, my stewardship, my life as a whole.
I stayed home today as I have not been feeling all that great. My body is very sore and my head has been heavy and spinning and my throat started getting that inflamed glands kind of sensation with the scratchiness. Quite a few of my colleagues have glandular fever and have been unwell since early last year even. Illness seems very common in my workplace. I think the bugs get trapped in the air conditioning vent and keep circulating. Anyway, I've actually been doing really well considering. Yes, you may attribute my ailments to a lack of exercise and possibly even my diet. Will need to pray for my colleagues because even the fit and health conscious are being hit hard. It's been a rather productive day so far, with keeping and washing more laundry, spending time crying out to God, listening to His Word, cooking a pot of soup for dinner (I love the thermal cooker my mum bought me!). Dinner preparation can start late since Fab won't reach the station until 8:30 tonight. Shall try to work on scripture memorising now.
2 comments:
oh yes! it does waste life away! I struggle with worry and fear too!
Sorry I have not stopped by in a while, somehow, I am still having problems "following" your URL feed. ugh!
atta, girl! keep it up.
Post a Comment