Friday, 20 November 2009

Days of rest


You're probably wondering how it is I've had the time to upload so many posts. Well, the answer to that is I've been home this week with the flu. Monday was a day off for me because Renee came from Darwin for the presbytery so I had arranged to have time to just hang out with her and hear about what God's been doing in her life in the NT (Northern Territory of Australia). Fab stayed home on Tuesday and I rested heaps after having restless nights with a fever and coughing. He went out to get a few videos (cheap Tuesdays at Video Ezy, they only cost $1 each to rent) and we watched them in the evening. Then a couple of close friends came over for dinner. That was good. To just catch up. From Wednesday I've been home alone and the first time I left the house since Tuesday afternoon was yesterday when we went to the doctor's and then to life group.

I've been spending the days listening to teaching by Bill Johnson, Jenn Johnson (his daughter in law) and Kim Walker, as you can see, and trying to soak myself in worship by Jason Upton, Bethel Church/Jesus Culture and Kari Jobe. It's been good to just have the time to relax and I've been using the mornings (after Fab leaves for work) to catch up on the sleep I lost during the night. Somehow my cough settles by the morning and I'm able to catch some shut-eye. I haven't been napping for the past few days but have been making the daily decision to fill my spirit with what is good and to talk to God about things on my heart. I haven't been reading the Bible though I will after this but for once (for a while now) I don't feel like I'm just "go-go-go" in my head. It's not that my life is super occupied or hard but my mind is always busy and the commuting and routine of work and ministry without catching up on my relationship with God has been draining me. This is a sort of make up time. No target to reach, expectation to meet. Just Jesus and Jocelyn Time (like my friend Vicky calls her alone moments with God).

Robin's coming over at 3pm and we'll bake cookies and maybe watch a video or just chat. I love chatting with Robin. She speaks life into me and helps puts things into perspective. I feel like she lives in a different paradigm sometimes and it's good because she says things so simply, in such a down to earth way that makes so much sense. She's one person I feel identifies with much of how I look at social injustice and what it does to my heart and spirit. But she doesn't just relate, she imparts words of knowledge from God, from scripture and helps me to have a clearer understanding of how God looks at the situation without making it seem like she's preaching to me. She just tells it like it is from her experience and what she's learnt from others and revelation she's gained through the Word and just being in God's presence and really seeking His heart in her prayer closet. In a couple of weeks she'll go home to Canada and I may never see her again but I'll remember the impact she has made here in the short time she's been in Australia. She'll go back and work for one of the Ministers of Parliament. Her heart is to effect change for God. She's been involved in government before and, for years, served in a ministry that intercedes for and address social injustice in practical ways.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails