Monday, 30 November 2009

New Year, New Home?

I've got big plans (in my head) for 2010, seeing as how I will have plenty of spare time on my hands at the start of the year. My dreams of decorating our home may finally come true. I'll just have to find low budget ways of achieving the ideas. Things I would like to give a makeover to are:

  • The ceiling - we haven't patched up the painted the ceiling of our bedroom and ensuite, the study and the laundry room. Will get to this slowly.

  • The walls - I can actually live with the walls not being painted over but I was thinking to paint our room at least after fixing up the ceiling. The wall behind our bed (that does not have a frame or bedhead) is actually a little grotty and could do with a fresh coat. Have decided not to have a feature wall (wall painted in a different colour) as the room is not large and the colour we choose for the wall will lock us in, in terms of what other colours we can then have in the room, mainly the quilt cover sets. Don't want to have clashes plus the uniformity of a light colour for the walls will 'create' space and enhance lighting.

  • The deck - it looks like it's rotting though it's not, claims my husband. We probably won't get round to doing anything about this but it's one of those things at the back of my mind.

Small things I can get round to doing pretty much on my own are:




  • Buy cheap wrapping paper in a nice design to insert into the glass frame doors of our IKEA bookshelves in the study. The panels behind the glass are black on one side and white on the other. The shelves are white. We've had the panels on the black side this whole time. Made a nice contrast and matched the little black drawer set that houses our stationery. But now I look at it and think it's dull so want to give it some life and colour with pretty bright paper with a good design. The couple from Young House Love (refer to their photo above) reminded me of this idea Fab and I had when we bought the shelves but then neglected to do anything exciting for. We did at one point contemplate placing a photo collage in but I think it could end up being a bit tacky if not designed well.

  • To go with that, I'll see if I can paint the wooden drawer set white (maybe I can get away with using the ceiling paint? Wonder if I should then coat it with varnish)

  • Ask Julie (our wedding photographer) to send me the photos she has edited. Choose one we love and print it out to the size of the frames we have bought that are just sitting around with empty faces. Will hang one on the wall behind our bed perhaps. Would be best to have painted the wall though. Alternatively, there is a good space above Fab's desk in the study or above the bookshelves (currently I have small frames lining the top of the shelves but I can always move these to a new location)

I'll be back when I can think of more things. Right now my headache is in the way and I need to go be constructive.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails