And it rained. No, make that it released a massive ocean in one go over a concentrated area. All four of us got drenched while frantically constructing the rest of tent number one. "This is the first time, in all the years I've been camping since I was a kid, that it has rained on us like this while setting up. First time the sea here is brown too (read: the colour of strong tea with a bit of milk). It's usually a beautiful blue". Thanks Renee. She was amused at my introduction to camping. The forecasted quick and light showers, which by the way were meant to come much later, were not at all that. Saturday saw more sudden downpours. And tent number two that Renee and Shaun so kindly lent us (they came with everything. I mean everything) decided to leak. On my face. And soak one end of our pillows. This tent recently weathered a tremendous storm. Maybe I jinxed this trip. The amusement wore off. We were ready to strangle the weather man. Just momentarily.
Thankfully God gave us several hours of sunshine intermittently to enjoy fishing, kite-flying (the almost constant crazy howling winds proved useful), a picnic lunch and dry trips to the toilet (I held on at other times, particularly at night). We were also unscathed as we headed out to buy fish and chips for one dinner. I've discovered that there are certain things that make good camping companions, apart from the basics of tent, bedding and cooking ware. Sudoku, Cluedo and Rummy-o, the last of which I have become addicted to. This way you can entertain yourself even in a storm.
Naturally (insert hint of sarcasm) it was clear blue skies as we packed up for home on Sunday. We were only there for the weekend but it felt longer. Despite the conditions, we did have a relaxing time away (thank you Shaun and Renee!) and I count it a good experience. The early signs we received of Cyclone Ului (which the weatherman only thought to mention after our trip. Typical) have not deterred me from looking forward to my next camping expedition. It'll be colder in the coming months but as long as we check that rains will be kept at bay, it should all be good.
ww
www



No comments:
Post a Comment