Tuesday, 18 May 2010

purpose

I was again telling God how I would rather not have a calling or purpose over my life if either resulted from the brokenness of this world. If either were necessitated because of the presence of injustice, pain, sickness or any form of suffering. I would rather He took all of that away right now.

It just seems like it's one thing after the other. If it's not injustice caused by man, it's a natural disaster or a cruel disease. The intensity of pain across the globe is overwhelming. Are my prayers really making a difference? Is my intercession actually effective? Why am I being confronted with more and more horrific news? If I were to focus more on a particular area like human trafficking, would I be letting others down? Others who are suffering in a different way due to different cause?

There are times I wish God would eliminate some areas of concern. Perhaps further limit the number of diseases there are. When did EB start infecting our planet? Why do so many babies have to suffer this way? Maybe God has given each one of them to a family who will love them and care for them tenderly, but is it really necessary for this to even exist?

I have so many questions.

I need to make a conscious effort to connect these impossibilities with God's ability. To not be discouraged and deflated but to persevere in prayer, praise and practice. To not worship the problems by giving them more credit than they're due but to place my attention on God who is able to do immeasurably above and beyond all that I can ask for or even imagine.

As I was contemplating all this, the daily verse on Biblegateway changed to say this - "God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown Him as you have helped his people and continue to help them" (Hebrews 6: 10).

There is a reason for Him choosing to do things this way. To not fix everything in a heartbeat, which He is perfectly capable of, but to invite us to partner with Him to work things through. I may not agree with this decision but His thoughts and ways are way higher than mine so the limited logic I have cannot even begin to fathom and explain what He's up to. I just need to trust.

God, don't ever let me give up believing in You and clinging to You.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately bad things happen in this world because man sinned. I struggle to understand why bad things happen and especially why bad things happen to good people, but I just have to remind myself that God doesn't do these horrible things. They happen because of the sin in this world. We live in a fallen world. It's tough. And it's hard. But God is a merciful God and He hears our prayers.

Related Posts with Thumbnails