Just a few tasty bites I had over the week (minus the cafes I ate at). Actually, no, that's a lie as I didn't order anything from the cafe that was pretty much a shop in a hole in a wall (photo number 3) facing an alleyway with dumpsters in it. The alleyway provided some simple low tables and stools for the coffee drinkers. The photo is slightly deceiving as you cannot tell the depth of the cafe, if I could even call it that. It was more like a coffee counter. If you can see the guy in the store, he's the one making the coffee. Behind him is a wall of canisters, cups, saucers and other bits and pieces that go along with coffee making. That's it. That's how large the space is.
But back to the tasty bites. There was the unassuming corn and mini taco plate at Mamasita. Who knew a simple half corn on the cob could be bursting with so much flavour? The Mexican entrees were fresh and full of taste. A good recommendation by Jackie, who brought me to Breadwell (photo number 6) for lunch on Friday. That's where I had the lamb and tomato stew with a sourdough bun (photo number 5) and she had the open lamb souvlaki (note the funny expression of the lady behind her in photo number 4). Both were good although I have to admit I preferred hers (she gave me a little to try).
Dinner at Mamasita on Monday was with Tse Mein and Sunita as well. The place was crowded and loud but gave a good vibe. Perhaps it was great simply because of the company. I am so glad to have had the chance to catch up with "old" friends. One has to queue very early on at Mamasita to get a place unless having a meal with at least seven other people to warrant a dinner booking.
Tse Mein bought me lunch at Cafe Vue on Tuesday (photos 1 & 2). Her lunchbox included a mini burger served alongside fine potato crisps and a Baba ghanoush dip, a delicious rice salad with tuna and corn (the rice cooked to perfection) and a mouth-watering lemon curd dessert with a fluffy meringue on top. My sandwich had spicy salami, rocket and mozzarella in it. A delectable combination.
The last photo is of the rich, chocolatey fudge brownie with macadamia nuts Fab bought for me at the Queen Victoria Market. Priced at $2.50 for a decent chunk loaded with macadamias, I thought it was well worth the cost. The $1 spanish donuts found at the Markets are good too. The right chewy consistency.







No comments:
Post a Comment