Not only am I slightly hard of hearing (though some like to think of it as selective hearing), my eyesight isn't always the best either. I dropped Fab off at the train station the other night and as I got out of the car, my eyes fell on a sign that read "No Smoking in this area, penalty: Fine apples".
I had a good chuckle to myself and told Fab about it. I went to work and relayed the incident to a couple of colleagues. I reasoned that the number and type of apples fined would directly correlate with the crime committed. So you'd start with the petty things like littering or spitting and be fined in Granny Smiths and move up towards the Pink Ladies and then the fat and expensive Japanese Fuji apples.
It could work in the same way as conventional fines, such that if you were normally fined $50 for littering, you would then have to bring $50 worth of apples instead. These apples could then be donated to Child Care Centres to complement the kids' healthy lunches and snacks or be given to Old Folks' Homes or even hospitals to those who have teeth and are fine to munch on them (alternatively, juiced options would be available). It would be a form of community contribution.
Of course the sign read "Fine Applies" when I did a double take thinking my mind was playing tricks, but expanding upon the notion of being fined in apples was a refreshing train of ideas. Creativity is such a wonderful thing when guided towards the constructive...
I had a good chuckle to myself and told Fab about it. I went to work and relayed the incident to a couple of colleagues. I reasoned that the number and type of apples fined would directly correlate with the crime committed. So you'd start with the petty things like littering or spitting and be fined in Granny Smiths and move up towards the Pink Ladies and then the fat and expensive Japanese Fuji apples.
It could work in the same way as conventional fines, such that if you were normally fined $50 for littering, you would then have to bring $50 worth of apples instead. These apples could then be donated to Child Care Centres to complement the kids' healthy lunches and snacks or be given to Old Folks' Homes or even hospitals to those who have teeth and are fine to munch on them (alternatively, juiced options would be available). It would be a form of community contribution.
Of course the sign read "Fine Applies" when I did a double take thinking my mind was playing tricks, but expanding upon the notion of being fined in apples was a refreshing train of ideas. Creativity is such a wonderful thing when guided towards the constructive...
No comments:
Post a Comment