Sunday, 2 March 2008

fatty fatty boombah

I tried something new yesterday with a friend of mine (ought to be "proud" of myself for taking this first step towards a healthier me, haha). A mutual friend runs a yoga/pilates/massage/detox place not too far from where I live and has been asking us to go along to one of her classes, get pampered or just pay her a visit so we thought we'd enrol in the set-of-three introductory yoga class. No meditation or incense burning - in fact the place is really clean and comfortable and I really like the way she has set it up. So anyway, it's a special room as it's fitted with far-infrared heaters that enable toxins to be gently pushed to the surface of the skin as you perspire. The gentle warmth also encourages further stretching as one follows the various exercises involved. I truly felt stretched by the end of it!

A bit of pain and strain while trying to hold myself in the positions (the push ups were a bit of a killer for me due to lack of arm strength - we had to lower ourselves slowly to create resistance and hover an inch above the ground, hold, and then raise ourselves again...I did a couple of belly flops as I couldn't maintain a clean hover, the elbows kind of gave way) but by the end of it, we had all built up a good sweat and felt pretty relaxed and energised at the same time. Jumped straight into the shower (great smelling shampoo provided!) and out I came feeling great (famished from rushing in the morning and skipping breakfast). A little tiredness did set in later in the day with the heat at the Coast but I was still fine...night came and I began to notice a couple of pulls down my legs, very normal from 1-hour of work at the yoga class.

This morning however, my entire body is aching like crazy! I feel it in my thighs, my abs (or rather flabby belly), arms and most of all in my shoulders and upper back. Owwwwwwwwchie...I am so unfit! Hopefully I didn't do anything bad to myself...the instructor came over to readjust me a couple of times as I was putting my knee out too much or something wasn't quite in place. 2 more classes to go...should get better as we progress on...I think...eeks...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails