Thursday, 29 May 2008

Big Day Preps Take 2

Make-up by Amy. Amy's from Hong Kong but she's lived here for about 10 years now...she's really sweet and pretty and is really good at what she does! Her family is in real estate as well. Anyhoo, I've left her blog as a link under All Things Fancy (She works with a girl named Cherry who's from Hong Kong too).

It's really amazing how I ended up booking in for a trial with Amy (she'll drive all the way to your house to do it too!) Trained by Napoleon, she's spent years perfecting the art and has learnt far more on her own than she was taught in the course. Apparently they don't teach you about brows and the previous girl I had a trial with proved that as she didn't even touch mine. Amy spent a good deal of time working on the brows as, she patiently explained to this ignorant girl who's never applied make up on herself before and doesn't know how to (i.e. me), the brows frame the face. They affect your expression...when made to be more open, one can look more relaxed and welcoming.

The outcome made the sitting down on my laurels for close to an hour worth it...the makeup looked light 'n' fresh and felt comfortable on the skin (I hate the feeling of makeup clogging my pores so this was a major plus point) I have to confess the mascara started to irritate my eyes later that night but it's just a matter of me getting used to having stuff on my face. And yes, those are my real lashes. She was envious they're much longer than her own...but as I said, she's 'bee-ooo-tee-fool' and I made it a point to tell her I thought she's pretty (Hee Hee)

So the 'small-world' story is this:

Was having dinner one night with my life group after church service one Sunday and three people (2 girls and a guy) popped over to say hi. I turned to one of them (Cherry) and remarked, "You look familiar..." She mentioned working (previously) in the hair studio on the street next to where I live and selling flowers...that wasn't it...anyway, she introduced the other girl as her little sister and the guy as her husband...ok, so she's an acquaintance of a good friend of mine from church.

But then I went home that night and noticed a little name card I had left on my desk. We were at a cafe some nights before, celebrating another church friend's birthday when something compelled me to pick up this card (it was the last one) from the stand of advertisements and free postcards behind the counter when ordering my favourite Dark Italian Hot Chocolate (mmm...)

Cherry's Fresh Flowers it read...Hah! Well, what do you know?? Curiosity drove me to email her the next morning to ask if she was the same Cherry (well, I don't know many - actually, any - with the same name so I figured I couldn't go too wrong)...Yup! It was her alright, and she now runs her own business specialising in wedding floral arrangements, hair and makeup. Yay!

I quickly asked for a trial and that's how I met Amy. And it turns out, my friend Phoebe (who's getting married in a few days) is having her makeup done by Amy too! She's also on the blog. We're not close so I'm not invited and hence did not realise she had done a trial with them until I saw her on the blog. That is way cool, don't you think? More so because, as it turns out, Amy knows heaps of people from Singapore from Uni days and happens to know people I know but have lost touch with so now I can get re-connected with them! Double Yay!

Not that we were close but hey, it could all be God's planning and timing because what are the odds of me finding the little name card (the last one standing) and then bumping into Cherry out of the blue and then meeting Amy who knows people...WHOA!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails