Sunday, 22 February 2009

Living Love


Romans 13: 9-10" The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet," and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself." Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law."

When Christians talk about love being the higher standard to live to, others may think we're just being idealistic. They may think we're not grounded, not down to earth, not sensible or practical. Maybe they liken us to hippies. To people high on delusion. But it is far more difficult to let God's perfect love be what compels us, be our deep inner, honest motivation. We're not naturally completely selfless, completely sacrificial. And even when we do what is good or right, we may not do it with the right intentions or for the right reasons. We could merely be acting out of ingrained moral values, conscience, the desire to be accepted or praised. We could be acting out of obligation, responsibility or even fear. But the Bible makes it clear that everything we think, say and do comes to absolutely nothing unless fueled by love, by pure motives.

This is one area I still struggle with. It's easy to do as I have always been taught. It's easy to do what is good when it is the social norm, when you know it is what is expected of you and people look upon it well. But there are times I know I grumble or complain to myself, times when I judge or criticise others, times when I even dread doing certain things for others. It could be because I would rather spend that time doing something for myself, or I don't enjoy the task, or worse, I don't particularly like the individual or know them very well. But none of these are justifications of my poor attitude, my lack of choosing to let God's love compel me. If I can fail in such simple circumstances, how would I respond to someone who genuinely hurts me? Could I actually love someone I would otherwise consider an enemy?

I once heard of a woman whose husband was killed when rebels attacked their village. The man who murdered her loved one was arrested and put away in prison. This woman could have felt relief over his capture, been pleased that some form of justice was being carried out. Yet, she did something I find impossible, at this point of my life. This woman approached the jail where the man was being detained. Guards questioned her presence. She explained that she had come to see the man who had taken her husband's life. At this, they were concerned that her motive might be to execute revenge in repayment for the pain she was experiencing from the terrible loss. The woman, strong yet gentle, said plainly, "I've made a meal and would like to give it to this man." The guards looked at each other, thinking there might have been poison in the food. But the lady went on to assure them of her intentions and they finally let her in. For days and days after, this woman travelled a long way to the prison, hot meal in hand, to care for the very man who had caused her great grief. This woman knew the love and grace of God so deeply that she chose to demonstrate it to someone whom I would see as undeserving.

But that's what God's love and grace are about. He showed these while we were still sinners. He gave what was most precious to Him, He gave His own son, flesh and blood, His very life, that we might have life and have it to the full. He did not hold back, did not think twice. Yet there are so many times I do. And it's not even going to cost me anything, if I really think about it. It might just be a simple matter of my time, a minuscule amount of money, my attention and kindness. Yet already I guard these little things so preciously and deny others God's love through me. I think we can all consider this in our own lives.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails