Monday, 24 November 2008

Schoolies


It's that time of year again. School and uni are out and everyone's planning their holidays. This post will show my age as I have long passed the days when I used to do likewise. Only problem is, none of my plans (if I made any - probably in response to my spiritual mentor's recommendation) ever materialised. In fact, I have a habit of not carrying out most of my goals and plans. I just like how they look on paper, typed out in some pretty and orderly fashion with tables and illustrations. Anyhow, I often penned down that I'd spend the holidays finishing a particular Christian book and studying a particular book of the Bible or theme. Good things like that. Apart from spending quality time with family and friends of course. But, sure enough, the three-month summer break would come to a close and my plans would have all gone to pots (down the drain, into non-existence, whatever expression tickles your fancy). SO. I thought I would write this in a hopefully-not-vain attempt to persuade a student or two not to follow in my complacent (more like downright lazy bum bum) ways.

Spend your holiday wisely. 3 months (give or take) is actually a decently long time, but it can go very quickly if not careful. I can't believe how many of these precious breaks I have wasted in my years as a student here (not to mention my entire schooling life previously! But at that time, I really did not know much better...ok, that was a lousy "justification").

I could have gotten really serious about pursuing my relationship with God and making the most of those times to study His word, read, listen to sermons, do something really constructive even if it was a leisurely project (but at least put my mind to something) and not just fiddle around and sleep too much and consume an illegal amount of television.

I could have been far more intentional with time spent with family and friends. I look back now and I realise how little I have made the effort to really know my family members. To sit at my grandparents' feet and take in all their life stories and learn from their experiences and rejoice in how God has brought each generation through. I could have learnt how to play the violin from my grandfather or asked him about his camera collection. I could have taken more interest in every single person I claim to love yet effectively isolate by not fully opening up my life to them out of pride or whatever silly notions I may have. I've been telling of my regrets to Fab off late, saying how I miss home and want to be back for a while. We can't just yet and so are aiming to do so later next year. He reminded me I ought to call home more, even if I may not have a whole lot to say. It's about making that connection. Letting them know they are important. That you care about them and want to include them in your life by letting them in on what's been happening. I thank God that it is not too late to start now. I do not want to regret when they are gone. I want them to know, always, that I really do love every one of them very dearly.

Don't let this time pass by with nothing to show for it. When you start working, you'll wish you had holidays like that. It may be different if you end up being a teacher or working part time or something. Still, why let the chance to make something of the time you have now slip?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails