Monday, 10 November 2008

What is a priesthood church?




Bible Reference: Isaiah 1]

Belle preached last night on us being A Priestghood Church, as part of the series of lessons we will be covering in the coming weekend's seminar on this topic. More specifically, she was covering the question posed in this post's title. In pointing out that a priesthood church is one that is holy and set apart for God, she directed us to look at the Israelite nation - how they were (and still are) God's chosen people, yet they turned against Him repeatedly (choosing, instead, idols and a lesser life), and in so doing, brought adverse consequences upon themselves that carry even through to generations today.

Belle did not quote from this passage I have included but verse 18 happens to be the daily verse on Biblegateway. It caught my attention and led me to read the whole chapter to better understand its context. The Israelites rejected God over and over and over again, despite all He did for them, all He revealed, and promised and provided. Effectively, they gave away their great inheritance and received persecution and destruction. It amazes me that God wanted to 'talk it out with them' (verse 18: "Come now, let us reason together..."). He wanted to give them yet another chance to return to Him and to be in a postition where they could have the incredible blessings He had prepared for them, blessings that were now just sitting in cold storage waiting for them to get their act together. God was willing to humble Himself and say, "Ok, you've done terrible things, completely misunderstood me and miscontrued all I've spoken into your lives and presented before you, but I'm willing to put that aside. Let's talk about this. Tell me what's on your heart. What's going on? Why are you doing this? We can put it all out on the table and have a heart to heart discussion. Just you and me. I just want you to know you can approach me. I'm here to listen. To reason with you. Don't just walk away."

How many times have I done just that though? Messed up and then turned my back on God despite His love, grace and faithfulness without consulting Him about anything in my life. I've certainly faced some consequences. Honestly, though, I am pretty sure I could have faced far worse but God was being really gracious with all my gross sin. The promise was for the Israelites. And still is. In His love, He has extended this to all of us too. Will we, also, take it for granted and lose out on life eternal with a God who loves us deeply and just wants to have an intimate relationship and bless us out of the abundance of His riches? The point here is not to get the blessings but to see that ultimately it is not worth it to trade eternity with God for things we can see and own on earth. They don't last, those things.

Matthew 6: 19 - 21 "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails