I learnt two new things yesterday, one in the car, one in the shower. It rained yesterday, which brought about the two realisations. I drive in the mornings and so, as any normal human being would, I flicked on the windscreen wipers as the rain pellets belted down on our way to work. They weren't heavy and relatively spaced out in frequency. So Fab leaned over and adjusted something, commenting softly, "don't need the intervals to be so close". "Huh?" "Intervals? What intervals?", his bewildered wife asked. "You can adjust the frequency with which the windscreen wiper moves on the first setting where it operates on an interval basis", came the response (ok, it wasn't in so many words nor did it sound so formal but this explains what Fab was getting at). "I never knew that", was my ditsy remark. "What a fascinating new discovery! Ha!" "Ah, you never knew that?", quizzed my gorgeous engineer husband. "No! Heh! Right, so that's why it says on the thing "Int, Lo, High" (well, something like that) "and has that bar picture thing" (wow, my vocabulary excels!)
Never in my life had I paid any proper attention to what that feature was all about nor had I any reason to need anything apart from the three settings as I had them. That morning, though, I fiddled with the frequency and switched between speed settings according to the rain conditions. It was all very exciting and made me very happy.
A natural phenomenon occurred that day as a result of the rain - the ground got wet. And so did my pants as I walked across it to get to the spot where Fab collects me after work. It wasn't so much the water as it was the mud that so artistically flicked itself all along the legs of my pants that bothered me. Yes, they went all the way to the base of my bum. Why? Because I am short and the dirt doesn't have far to travel up as it gets a boost from the back of my slippers when I walk. So I went home with grotty pants that I will be chucking in the washing machine with other dark laundry tonight.
Anyways. The muck on my feet led to very focused washing when I got into the shower. I spotted this black patch on my toe and proceeded to give it a good scrub. Except, it hurt! That's when I made discovery number 2. I have a bruise on the inside of my little toe, right foot. How does one get a bruise there? How obscure! I'm such a klutz though so I suppose I shouldn't put it past myself.
This morning, I feel like chocolate cake. Correction. I feel like eating chocolate cake. I wouldn't know what being a piece of chocolate cake would feel like. Although it wouldn't surprise me if it would feel rather proud of itself, being so delectable and alluring. Or maybe it has a really strong inferiority complex. A fatalist attitude. A fear borne from the knowledge that it is destined to be consumed and so probably won't get to live for more than a day.
No comments:
Post a Comment