If you were to sit down and write your wedding vow to Jesus, how would it read? Care to share? Belle encouraged each of us at her house last weekend to write our personal vows to Jesus. After all, He is ultimately our husband and we His beloved. Kind of funny when you think our current husband (or one you will have in the future) is a "practice run" as Belle puts it. She says, "we ought to treat our husbands as we would treat Jesus, our ultimate husband". I'd like to hear yours if you're open to letting me hear it. Alternatively, I would like to hear about what it means to you to have Jesus be your husband. For me I still struggle to see Him this way. I can see God as a father, saviour, friend...but husband and lover are a little far fetched for me even after I have walked down the aisle myself. So any personal insight you give would be great, thanks!
2 comments:
Oh what a great idea! I'm going to put copy this thought and put it in my journal and write some vows. I was in a trial several years ago where God really revealed himself to me as husband and I even spoke with him in that way. Look up the verses addressing a husband and then apply them to Jesus and you. Amazing!
Hi, I just surfed in through Ashley Weis' blog and am visiting. Lots of edifying devotional entries; I am enjoying your one on Romans above.
Hmm...this is a tough one to answer from a human perspective, because actually it is the Church that is the "Bride of Christ"; not us as individuals. The term is never applied in Scripture to individuals, so it is not quite accurate to see Jesus as your "ultimate husband" or lover. The mystery of Christ and the Church which Paul refers to is of a mystical union with the whole Body - very much a collective.
However, I realize this line of thinking is sort of in vogue right now....the whole "Bridal Paradigm" has been taken a bit too far and womens' authors like Shannon Ethridge and Beth Moore have popularized it. You can even hear it in a lot of the modern worship songs we sing. Unfortunately, there's a danger in 'romanticizing' the Christian's relationship to Jesus - it's theologically unsound. So don't worry if you find it hard to relate to Him as "husband" - He never intended you to. It sounds like you are truly a woman after God's own heart, and I look forward to reading more.
Blessings,
Marie
Post a Comment