Proverbs 8: 22-31 (New Living Translation)
“The Lord formed me from the beginning,
Before He created anything else.
I was appointed in ages past,
At the very first, before the earth began.
I was born before the oceans were created
Before the springs bubbled forth their waters.
Before the mountains were formed
Before the hills, I was born -
Before He had made the earth and fields
And the first handfuls of soil.
I was there when He established the heavens,
When He drew the horizon on the oceans.
I was there when He set the clouds above
When He established springs deep in the earth.
I was there when He set the limits of the seas
So they would not spread beyond their boundaries.
And when He marked off earth’s foundations,
I was the architect at His side.
I was His constant delight,
Rejoicing always in His presence.
And how happy I was with the world He created;
How I rejoiced with the human family!”
“The Lord formed me from the beginning,
Before He created anything else.
I was appointed in ages past,
At the very first, before the earth began.
I was born before the oceans were created
Before the springs bubbled forth their waters.
Before the mountains were formed
Before the hills, I was born -
Before He had made the earth and fields
And the first handfuls of soil.
I was there when He established the heavens,
When He drew the horizon on the oceans.
I was there when He set the clouds above
When He established springs deep in the earth.
I was there when He set the limits of the seas
So they would not spread beyond their boundaries.
And when He marked off earth’s foundations,
I was the architect at His side.
I was His constant delight,
Rejoicing always in His presence.
And how happy I was with the world He created;
How I rejoiced with the human family!”
I found this passage posted on someone else's blog. Though it may just be seen, on the surface, as a beautiful poem, it holds great truth. If read on its own, one might not guess who the "I" is in the passage. Hence the title of this post. The passage tells us that wisdom was there from the beginning as it is fundamental to every thought, every decision, every action, every word spoken.
I don't always give careful thought to the things I say and allow words to tumble out before they have gone through my brain to be adequately and objectively processed. Either that or I blatantly ignore the little voice (my own reasoning that has come with learning from experiences or what has been inculcated, or my conscience, or the Holy Spirit) that tells me to hold back on the regrettable statement about to be uttered by my tongue. How many people have I offended or hurt? How many lives have I altered in some fashion because my words broke a person's self esteem or drove them to the other extreme in trying to prove me wrong? I will probably never really know. How many have you? I may have made a number of foes with my careless words. I just hope they will forgive me. I must change.
I don't always give careful thought to the things I say and allow words to tumble out before they have gone through my brain to be adequately and objectively processed. Either that or I blatantly ignore the little voice (my own reasoning that has come with learning from experiences or what has been inculcated, or my conscience, or the Holy Spirit) that tells me to hold back on the regrettable statement about to be uttered by my tongue. How many people have I offended or hurt? How many lives have I altered in some fashion because my words broke a person's self esteem or drove them to the other extreme in trying to prove me wrong? I will probably never really know. How many have you? I may have made a number of foes with my careless words. I just hope they will forgive me. I must change.
No comments:
Post a Comment