Friday, 2 January 2009

Painting Pains


I can now confidently say I do not enjoy painting. Actually it probably wouldn't be so bad if we were working on the walls but we had to give the ceiling an overhaul. Fab has so diligently spent days and days filling and sealing up the holes in the ceiling and sanding everything down flat. Holes created when we had to have all the hideous, not functional lighting that came with the house removed and replaced. It meant rewiring everything which left gaping holes in the plaster board. He did an excellent job I must say. It was only his first time - all his efforts researching proper methods on the Internet and examining the various products on offer at Bunnings Warehouse and at some online store to purchase the right materials certainly paid off.

Anyhow, I helped with rolling the paint onto the ceiling but due to my height and strength, I found it a challenge to really control the movement of the roller brush on the cumbersome pole, even while standing on a chair. So I opted to paint the skirting adjoining the ceiling to the walls with a hand brush and ladder instead . It took us a good 5 hours but we can surely say there was a sense of accomplishment. The whole of the upstairs is practically finished. Fab is so efficient and great with things like this. I, on the other hand, am quite the bungling klutz but I didn't fair so badly with my task.

While on the job, I started reflecting on my poor attitude. Fab was pretty chipper and encouraging and tried to get me to think it was fun to paint our own home together. I scowled and whinged and complained after fumbling greatly with the roller brush. Settled down when I took on the task of the skirting instead. Still, I thought about how the Bible teaches us to do everything excellently and with a good attitude as if doing it all for the Lord. I was trying to think of how that would relate to painting my own place. How that would be for the Lord. It dawned on me He was simply more interested in my heart condition and demeanour at the time. Why was I sulking and mulling? Why could I not do my little job with a smile on my face and a song in my heart and make it fun for Fab and myself? Why was my mind and heart yet again so busy with negative thoughts or idle chatter that I was still being Martha? When was I going to learn to rest in God at all times no matter what the situation?

Fab certainly deserves a very special medal today. Well, he deserves one everyday for being such a fab-ulous husband. But today it's specifically for his perfect painting skills, for his great attitude, for his encouragement and pampering towards his immature wife (He kept getting me a drink and asking me to rest and even genuinely said on a couple of occasions, "Poor darling, you must be so tired, I can manage the rest, you've done so well!" despite the fact he was obviously doing the bulk of the work), for not letting me have to clean up but hand-mopping the paint spills and dirt and things off the floor and putting everything back into place. All I could do was make him some lousy dinner which he appreciated! What a gem of a husband, I tell you. How can I not adore him? I have so much to learn from him.

It's back to work on Monday. I hope we are truly disciplined enough to stick to our word about getting up early, reading the daily devotional and praying together in the car on the way, starting work early so we can leave early to get home in time to squeeze in a swim as our daily exercise, make dinner and spend personal time with God. Sounds ambitious judging our performance thus far but we'll take it one step at a time. First, I have to train myself to go to bed early, fall asleep quickly and get out of bed with a cheery disposition. More on this next week so you can see our progress.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails