I mentioned the other day that I was reading Acts Chapter 2 regarding the enablement of the Holy Spirit that came like fire upon the people who gathered to pray. God poured His Spirit into them and they declared of His wonders. That passage speaks of the fulfilling of a prophecy given in Joel 2: 28-32. What I want to share is what struck me when I read through Joel Chapter 2 yesterday morning. It talks of how God sent a mighty army that destroyed much in the land. Eleven verses are devoted to describing the strength of that army and how the nations tremble at the sight of it. Verse 11 says, "...The day of the Lord is great; it is dreadful. Who can endure it?"
Yet we see from Verse 12 that God says, "Even now...return to me with all your heart...Rend your heart...Return to the Lord your God, for He is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love, and He relents from sending calamity. Who knows? He may turn and have pity and leave a blessing..." This reflects His grace. His heartbeat. He does not long to destroy His people but restore them. Still, time after time, despite all His pursuing to win their hearts and minds and spirits over, they blatantly chose to do detestable things in His sight. They chose idols. They chose frivolous pleasures. Temporary satisfaction of their five senses. As a result, they faced consequences. They faced judgement. They were scattered and lost their identity.
The passage goes on. God continues to call His people back unto Himself. He asks them to gather. To consecrate themselves. he asks that they humble themselves, turn from their sinful ways and pray. As they say, "Spare your people O Lord. Do not make your inheritance an object of scorn, a byword among the nations. Why should they say among the peoples, 'Where is their God?'" (Verse 17), God will restore them, restore their land. He will drive out their enemies and return to them all that was lost (Verse 18-26). Then "you will praise the name of the Lord your God, who has worked wonders for you; never again will you be shamed. Then you will know that I am in Israel, that I am the Lord your God, and that there is no other; never again will my people be shamed (verse 26). This really struck me. With all that is happening in Israel today, God's Word stands true.
Many of the Israelites today may not know Him. May not know that they are His people. For years there is been hardness and resentment. Disillusionment from all the pain and suffering. They have been repeatedly attacked. Yet God's promise is there for the taking. He just asks they turn to Him. Put Him at the centre of their lives. The Day of the Lord was written there, from verse 28. "And afterward, I will pour out my Spirit on all people...Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days. I will show wonders in the heaven and on earth...And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved...there will be deliverance..."
My prayer is for them. For them to know that God is real. That He loves them. That He did not bring them through all this destruction because He is sadistic and evil. He doesn't long to hurt them. I pray they will come to recognise His love and grace over them. Take hold of His promises and experience His blessings as they choose to place their lives in His hand and not take matters into their own. Any victory they have gained I am sure comes from God. His enablement and strength. His protection. Yet we need to realise that we walk out of His covering when we choose to be god of our own lives or choose other gods.
It's interesting because I just realised Charis has written about Israel as well - Blessings and Curses.
Yet we see from Verse 12 that God says, "Even now...return to me with all your heart...Rend your heart...Return to the Lord your God, for He is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love, and He relents from sending calamity. Who knows? He may turn and have pity and leave a blessing..." This reflects His grace. His heartbeat. He does not long to destroy His people but restore them. Still, time after time, despite all His pursuing to win their hearts and minds and spirits over, they blatantly chose to do detestable things in His sight. They chose idols. They chose frivolous pleasures. Temporary satisfaction of their five senses. As a result, they faced consequences. They faced judgement. They were scattered and lost their identity.
The passage goes on. God continues to call His people back unto Himself. He asks them to gather. To consecrate themselves. he asks that they humble themselves, turn from their sinful ways and pray. As they say, "Spare your people O Lord. Do not make your inheritance an object of scorn, a byword among the nations. Why should they say among the peoples, 'Where is their God?'" (Verse 17), God will restore them, restore their land. He will drive out their enemies and return to them all that was lost (Verse 18-26). Then "you will praise the name of the Lord your God, who has worked wonders for you; never again will you be shamed. Then you will know that I am in Israel, that I am the Lord your God, and that there is no other; never again will my people be shamed (verse 26). This really struck me. With all that is happening in Israel today, God's Word stands true.
Many of the Israelites today may not know Him. May not know that they are His people. For years there is been hardness and resentment. Disillusionment from all the pain and suffering. They have been repeatedly attacked. Yet God's promise is there for the taking. He just asks they turn to Him. Put Him at the centre of their lives. The Day of the Lord was written there, from verse 28. "And afterward, I will pour out my Spirit on all people...Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days. I will show wonders in the heaven and on earth...And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved...there will be deliverance..."
My prayer is for them. For them to know that God is real. That He loves them. That He did not bring them through all this destruction because He is sadistic and evil. He doesn't long to hurt them. I pray they will come to recognise His love and grace over them. Take hold of His promises and experience His blessings as they choose to place their lives in His hand and not take matters into their own. Any victory they have gained I am sure comes from God. His enablement and strength. His protection. Yet we need to realise that we walk out of His covering when we choose to be god of our own lives or choose other gods.
It's interesting because I just realised Charis has written about Israel as well - Blessings and Curses.
No comments:
Post a Comment