Ephesians 6: 12-13 "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand"
I'm trying to start a new habit. The practice of being quick to interrupt my negative, self-demeaning, fear-inducing thoughts. The practice of being quick to stop myself from judging and criticising the person who cuts me off in traffic, or leaves a rather unpleasant comment or the student who has just sent me her 10th email to annoy me. The thoughts come fast and easily get me down. I'll be eating a bunch of grapes and processing an application and there in the back of my head I am asking myself, "Why is it men generally do not have to endure the pain of childbirth, know what it is like to be cornered and taken advantage of, experience the trauma of abortion, be victims of gender inequality?" Starting from yesterday, I was a little more proactive in cutting the voice off. I spoke directly at the voice, "You are not from God. What is the use of thinking such things, asking such questions? What purpose does it serve if not to destroy me? You are not the truth. You are no where near being the truth. Get out!" If I keep this habit up, I will experience a new found freedom, I suspect :)
There are so many questions, so many doubts. So many trivial incidences that trigger anger, or at times, pure rage. The solution is not to dwell and analyse and interpret and confirm and condone. But to immediately hold each thought to the scrutiny of the truth. One day I will gain a deeper revelation of His heart (His character and intentions) and I will begin to understand situations more clearly. For now, I am simply learning to grow in trust and maturity by taking more responsibility for my attitude and responses and exercising more control over my emotions. Everyone at some point in their life experiences pain, experiences suffering. Pain and suffering are borne from sin. From us being fallen. But the life that seeks after God, that seeks His wisdom and applies His truth, will begin to steer clear of sin and be saved from the toil that pain and suffering can have.
I'm trying to start a new habit. The practice of being quick to interrupt my negative, self-demeaning, fear-inducing thoughts. The practice of being quick to stop myself from judging and criticising the person who cuts me off in traffic, or leaves a rather unpleasant comment or the student who has just sent me her 10th email to annoy me. The thoughts come fast and easily get me down. I'll be eating a bunch of grapes and processing an application and there in the back of my head I am asking myself, "Why is it men generally do not have to endure the pain of childbirth, know what it is like to be cornered and taken advantage of, experience the trauma of abortion, be victims of gender inequality?" Starting from yesterday, I was a little more proactive in cutting the voice off. I spoke directly at the voice, "You are not from God. What is the use of thinking such things, asking such questions? What purpose does it serve if not to destroy me? You are not the truth. You are no where near being the truth. Get out!" If I keep this habit up, I will experience a new found freedom, I suspect :)
There are so many questions, so many doubts. So many trivial incidences that trigger anger, or at times, pure rage. The solution is not to dwell and analyse and interpret and confirm and condone. But to immediately hold each thought to the scrutiny of the truth. One day I will gain a deeper revelation of His heart (His character and intentions) and I will begin to understand situations more clearly. For now, I am simply learning to grow in trust and maturity by taking more responsibility for my attitude and responses and exercising more control over my emotions. Everyone at some point in their life experiences pain, experiences suffering. Pain and suffering are borne from sin. From us being fallen. But the life that seeks after God, that seeks His wisdom and applies His truth, will begin to steer clear of sin and be saved from the toil that pain and suffering can have.
5 comments:
Yep! Chew on His truths and the "voices" have no business inhabiting the inner recesses of your mind. I love that passage in Ephesians. So often Christians miss that we "do not wrestle in flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places."
This is where the Phil 4:8 passage is so helpful too and i see that you're "chewing" on that!
i haven't forgotten to send on an email to you. i just need to tweak it a bit more...it's coming!
Thank you for your sweet comments on my blog! I am enjoying yours.
And thank you for your blog address. OK, here is the thing. Your blog ADDRESS works just fine, BUT when you leave a comment on my blog, and then I click on your name to comment back or link to/check out your blog, THAT is the page that is not working (your profile and profile page is set to private). It says that your profile is private and so I cannot just click over to your blog. So, in order to read your posts, I have to type in the entire address to get here. I hope that helps?
Anyway! Great thoughts here on your blog!
Darlene
yes, jos, i have noticed the same problem. i like to put my blogs i read on google's reader, but have never been able to do so with yours.
i'll stop rambling and see if it works now.
sleep well, and a have a great day!
Hey, I changed my profile, is it still not working?
strange. i still cannot post you on my google reader. do you use google? i'm fine with keeping you as a bookmark. it's no trouble, really.
Post a Comment